All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk Add-on for Microsoft Windows: How to find the cause of missing Windows Security Event Log entries?

cbright
Explorer

I have searched the Answers site and cannot find an answer to why I get log off events, but intermittently am missing log on events in Splunk.

This is a big problem for us and I have opened a ticket with Splunk Support but that also went nowhere and am hoping someone has had this issue and found a cause/fix.

We on occasion see log off events, but cannot find the log on event anywhere. We do have a product called Adiscon that also grabs event log entries and it always has both events. We are using the Splunk_TA_Windows add-on with the following settings:

[WinEventLog://Security]
disabled = 0
start_from = oldest
current_only = 0
evt_resolve_ad_obj = 1
checkpointInterval = 5
blacklist = 560,562,565-567,4656-4658,4661-4663,4928-4934
index = wineventlog
renderXml=false

Hoping someone can help.

0 Karma

Lindaiyu
Path Finder

Have you found some solution? We got the same problem.
Thank you

0 Karma

dstaulcu
Builder

Stanza looks ok to me. As part of troubleshooting I would simplify by removing blacklist entries to see if that changes the outcome in any way with regard to the missing events.

Is the stanza you are showing the output of btool query? If not, I'd recommend running splunk.exe cmd btool inputs list WinEventLog://Security to ensure that you do not have any other conflicting inputs defined on your forwarder. If the outputs are not what you expect, add the "--debug" flag to the end of the query to show the input files corresponding to each specification associated with the stanza.

If you are getting some security events but not all security events and you are not blacklisting them on the universal forwarder, take a look at your props/transforms.conf on receivers/indexers to ensure you are not null-routing or rewriting events along the path.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...