All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk Add-on for Microsoft Windows: How to eliminate extra text from Windows Event 4624 using regex?

AmeriCZieg
Engager

I've spent the past couple of days trying to eliminate the message text from "this event is generated" until the end. I have seen numerous splunk answer pages, blogs, and configuration documentation that references to using a perl regex, suppress_text (this one eliminates all message text which includes the stuff I want), and props and transforms.

I have to be missing something basic because I have tried these clauses in numerous locations, but event 4624 still has 59 lines per entry. I get about 220K security messages per day and it takes up about 1.1 gb of my license (on a 172mb event log that rolls over less than twice per day but this is another issue).

1 Splunk Enterprise install - nix system
1 Domain controller 2008 with universal forwarder installed

I've tried the props entry regex:

[root:local]# pwd
/opt/splunk/etc/system/local
[root;local]# more props.conf
[source::WinEventLog:Security]
SEDCMD-win = s/(?mis)(Token Elevation Type indicates|This event is generated).*$//g

Also in [root:local]# pwd

/opt/splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_windows/local

to enabled:
stop/start the splunk forwarder service on the Domain Controller.

I have also tried props and transforms:

Props

###### Windows Security Event Log ######
[source::*:Security]
#CMZ adds
#SEDCMD-shortern4624 = SEDCMD-shortern4624 = s/(?mis)(.*EventCode=4624.*)This event is generated when a logon session.*$/\1/g

TRANSFORM-windows_events = win_event_shortener

transforms

#Added by CMZ
#[shorten4624]
#REGEX = (?ms)(.*EventCode=4624.*)This event is generated when a logon session
#DEST_KEY = _raw
#FORMAT = $1
[win_event_shortener]
DEST_KEY = _raw
REGEX = ((.*+[\v])+)(?=This event is generated)
FORMAT = $1

un-remarking as needed of course

Are these supposed to go in the app local directory like Splunk_TA_windows or the system/local folder?
I know about this:
Precedence order within global context:
When the context is global (that is, where there's no app/user context), directory priority descends in this order:
1. System local directory -- highest priority
2. App local directories 
3. App default directories 
4. System default directory -- lowest priority

But I don't understand why this is being captured.

mkarimi17
Path Finder

Were you able to find out why you couldn't get it to work? I've tried the same thing but without any success.

0 Karma

splk
Communicator

Try to use a regex in the transforms.conf instead of sed:

[win_event_shortener]
DEST_KEY = _raw
REGEX = ((.*+[\v])+)(?=This event is generated)
FORMAT = $1
0 Karma

EdBruce
Explorer

Running 6.2 added the SEDCMD-shortern4624 = SEDCMD-shortern4624... to the /opt/splunk/etc/system/local/props.conf and it worked. Upgraded to 6.4 and it stopped working. In our case it was saving 4 GB/day.

0 Karma

jcoates_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee
0 Karma

EdBruce
Explorer

I down voted this post because this deletes the event. What is needed is the ability to not index the comment. The comment on this event is not needed and just wastes the daily license.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...

New! Splunk Observability Search Enhancements for Splunk APM Services/Traces and ...

Regardless of where you are in Splunk Observability, you can search for relevant APM targets including service ...