All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk Add-on for Microsoft Windows 4.8.4 splunk-netmon.exe memory leak on host?

bec
Explorer

I'm running the Splunk_TA_windows app to collect host information from Windows Server 2012 R2 servers. If I start/restart the splunk forwarder service everything is fine however after a day or two the splunk-netmon.exe process seems to show signs of a memory leak. Over the course of a week or so the process will consume 80-90% of the host's memory. Has anyone else ran into this? I have this on multiple hosts running a mixed bag of different applications.

splunk forwarder version 6.6.6
splunk add on for microsoft windows version 4.8.4

inputs.conf for splunk_ta_windows:

###### Network monitoring ######
[WinNetMon://inbound]
direction = inbound
disabled = 0
index = windows
packetType = accept;connect

[WinNetMon://outbound]
direction = outbound
disabled = 0
index = windows
packetType = accept;connect```
0 Karma

dstaulcu
Builder

I was never a fan of filtering options (on the uf) for this input type. recommend using sysinternals sysmon instead.

Here's your future search:

source="*WinEventLog:Microsoft-Windows-Sysmon/Operational" "<EventID>3</EventID>" OR EventCode="3"
 | table _time host source EventID RuleName, UtcTime, ProcessGuid, ProcessId, Image, User, Protocol, Initiated, SourceIsIpv6, SourceIp, SourceHostname, SourcePort, SourcePortName, DestinationIsIpv6, DestinationIp, DestinationHostname, DestinationPort, DestinationPortName 
 | sort 0 - _time
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...