All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk Add-on for Microsoft Office 365 --Why can't I index files over 7 days old?

lessthan80
Explorer

Splunk Add-on for Microsoft Office 365 -- I'm unable to index files over 7 days old.

Where can this configuration be changed in the Add-on?

Splunk Add-on for Microsoft Office 365
Version:
Build: 1

Splunk
Version:8.1.5

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

That add-on uses a Microsoft API to collect data.  How long that data remains available likely is controlled by Microsoft.  Your O365 admin may be able to provide further details.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

lessthan80
Explorer

This specifc Add-on 
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/AddOns/released/MSO365/Configureinputs#

states
The retention period for historical data is 7 days.
We had an authentication failure that was not corrected for about 3 weeks; and once corrected these logs did not index anything older than 7 days.  I searched the .conf files for any configuration that might have limited the lookback time and did not find any.

I'm hoping there is a configuration in this add-on that can be adjusted to pick up these older than 7 days logs.

thanks for your input.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

That add-on uses a Microsoft API to collect data.  How long that data remains available likely is controlled by Microsoft.  Your O365 admin may be able to provide further details.

---
0 Karma

lessthan80
Explorer

i had started looking at documentation for the API and found
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office/office-365-management-api/office-365-service-communications-...

which states the historical is today - 7

thanks for guiding me to the correct location for the configuration.  I will follow up with O365 support to see if this can or should be changed.

calling this question answered

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Please elaborate.  Why are you unable to index the files?  What error message(s) do you get?  Have you checked the add-on's inputs.conf file for an ignoreOlderThan setting?

---
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...