All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk Add-on for Cisco IPS: Why am I unable to connect to IPS with "HTTP Error 401: Unauthorized"?

khagan
Path Finder

I'm using the Splunk Add-On for Cisco IPS to pull data from a number of IPS machines, but it seems like none of them are able to hold a connection, and I'm not getting any logs from them. Looking at Splunk's internal logs, it shows that Splunk connects successfully, but then immediately following every connection is an HTTP Error 401: Unauthorized...

Wed Sep 16 15:53:56 2015 - INFO - Attempting to connect to sensor: xx.xx.xx.14
Wed Sep 16 15:53:56 2015 - INFO - Successfully connected to: xx.xx.xx.14
Wed Sep 16 15:54:01 2015 - ERROR - Connecting to sensor - xx.xx.xx.14: Traceback (most recent call last):   File "C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\apps\Splunk_TA_cisco-ips\bin\get_ips_feed.py", line 99, in run     sdee.open()   File "C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\apps\Splunk_TA_cisco-ips\bin\pysdee\pySDEE.py", line 187, in open     self._request(params)   File "C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\apps\Splunk_TA_cisco-ips\bin\pysdee\pySDEE.py", line 163, in _request     data = urllib2.urlopen(req)   File "C:\Program Files\Splunk\Python-2.7\Lib\urllib2.py", line 127, in urlopen     return _opener.open(url, data, timeout)   File "C:\Program Files\Splunk\Python-2.7\Lib\urllib2.py", line 410, in open     response = meth(req, response)   File "C:\Program Files\Splunk\Python-2.7\Lib\urllib2.py", line 523, in http_response     'http', request, response, code, msg, hdrs)   File "C:\Program Files\Splunk\Python-2.7\Lib\urllib2.py", line 448, in error     return self._call_chain(*args)   File "C:\Program Files\Splunk\Python-2.7\Lib\urllib2.py", line 382, in _call_chain     result = func(*args)   File "C:\Program Files\Splunk\Python-2.7\Lib\urllib2.py", line 531, in http_error_default     raise HTTPError(req.get_full_url(), code, msg, hdrs, fp) HTTPError: HTTP Error 401: Unauthorized 

Does anyone know what might be causing this problem?

0 Karma

bmas10
Explorer

I ended up hard-coding the credentials into the python because Splunk was munging them.

0 Karma

chrishartsock
Path Finder

I am receiving this error as well. Was a conclusion ever reached?

0 Karma

jcoates_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I agree that it's connecting to the sensor... that looks to me like it's then timing out on the next step. I'd increase Splunk's timeout period in web.conf.

0 Karma

bmas10
Explorer

I'm assuming the timeout was no the answer. OP, did you get this to work?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...