All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk Add-on for Cisco ASA 3.2.4: How to configure transforms.conf to properly extract the host field?

adamblock2
Path Finder

I am currently running Splunk 6.2.3 with the Splunk Add-on for Cisco ASA version 3.2.4.

When I look at Cisco ASA firewall events (sourcetype=cisco:asa) I have noticed that the dvc field is properly populated with the firewall context. However, this is not the case with the host field. The following are examples:

source = /syslog_hot/splunk/asa/ent_firewall.log
dvc = admin
host = admin

source = /syslog_hot/splunk/asa/ent_firewall.log
dvc = campus
host = campus

source = /syslog_hot/splunk/asa/asavpn.log
dvc = 5585vpn
host = cc-syslog01.mycompany.edu

I attempted looking for entries in the Splunk Add-on for Cisco ASA transforms.conf which extract the host field, but did not find one. It thus appears that the host field is using the default transforms.conf located in /opt/splunk/etc/system/default.

If I am understanding this correctly, the REGEX in the default transforms.conf is not matching, and as a result the host field is being populated with the hostname of the syslog server.

What would be the best solution for this? Should I create entries in the local/transforms.conf and local/props.conf of the add-on to properly extract/assign the host field?

Thank you.

1 Solution

adamblock2
Path Finder

I made the following changes to the Splunk_TA_cisco-asa app on our Indexers, and it appears to have solved/fixed the issue:

local/transforms.conf

[force_host_for_cisco_asa]
REGEX = ^(?:[^ \n]*\s{1,2}){3}([^ ]+)
FORMAT = host::$1
DEST_KEY = MetaData:Host

===============================

local/props.conf

[source::...asa/asavpn.log]
TRANSFORMS-force_host_for_cisco_asa = force_host_for_cisco_asa

View solution in original post

0 Karma

ejwade
Contributor

As long as I had my hostname in the ASA configured correct, as well as this command:

asa(config)#logging device-id hostname

The Add-on was able to pull out the hostname accurately. I got it working by monitoring the log file on an rsyslog server, and only assigning "syslog" as the sourcetype.

0 Karma

adamblock2
Path Finder

I made the following changes to the Splunk_TA_cisco-asa app on our Indexers, and it appears to have solved/fixed the issue:

local/transforms.conf

[force_host_for_cisco_asa]
REGEX = ^(?:[^ \n]*\s{1,2}){3}([^ ]+)
FORMAT = host::$1
DEST_KEY = MetaData:Host

===============================

local/props.conf

[source::...asa/asavpn.log]
TRANSFORMS-force_host_for_cisco_asa = force_host_for_cisco_asa
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...