All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk Add-on for Check Point OPSEC LEA: Why am I unable to gather Check Point logs from LEA Server using OPSEC 4.1

georgen_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

After recently configuring the Splunk Add-on for Check Point OPSEC LEA, I'm finding these errors reported in my splunk_ta_checkpoint-opseclea_modinput.log and no events are indexed.

2016-12-27 20:25:58,983 +0000 log_level=ERROR, pid=10558, tid=Thread-5, file=ta_data_collector.py, func_name=index_data, code_line_no=108 | [input_name="SPLUNKLEA" data="non_audit"]  Failed to index data, reason:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/PROD/6.4.3.a/splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_checkpoint-opseclea/bin/splunk_ta_checkpoint_opseclea/splunktaucclib/data_collection/ta_data_collector.py", line 105, in index_data
    self._do_safe_index()
  File "/opt/PROD/6.4.3.a/splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_checkpoint-opseclea/bin/splunk_ta_checkpoint_opseclea/splunktaucclib/data_collection/ta_data_collector.py", line 148, in _do_safe_index
    self._client = self._create_data_client()
  File "/opt/PROD/6.4.3.a/splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_checkpoint-opseclea/bin/splunk_ta_checkpoint_opseclea/splunktaucclib/data_collection/ta_data_collector.py", line 73, in _create_data_client
    ckpt = self._get_ckpt()
  File "/opt/PROD/6.4.3.a/splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_checkpoint-opseclea/bin/splunk_ta_checkpoint_opseclea/splunktaucclib/data_collection/ta_data_collector.py", line 64, in _get_ckpt
    return self._checkpoint_manager.get_ckpt()
  File "/opt/PROD/6.4.3.a/splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_checkpoint-opseclea/bin/splunk_ta_checkpoint_opseclea/splunktaucclib/data_collection/ta_checkpoint_manager.py", line 32, in get_ckpt
    return self._store.get_state(key)
  File "/opt/PROD/6.4.3.a/splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_checkpoint-opseclea/bin/splunk_ta_checkpoint_opseclea/splunktalib/state_store.py", line 202, in get_state
    state = json.load(jsonfile)
  File "/opt/PROD/6.4.3.a/splunk/lib/python2.7/json/__init__.py", line 291, in load
    **kw)
  File "/opt/PROD/6.4.3.a/splunk/lib/python2.7/json/__init__.py", line 339, in loads
    return _default_decoder.decode(s)
  File "/opt/PROD/6.4.3.a/splunk/lib/python2.7/json/decoder.py", line 364, in decode
    obj, end = self.raw_decode(s, idx=_w(s, 0).end())
  File "/opt/PROD/6.4.3.a/splunk/lib/python2.7/json/decoder.py", line 382, in raw_decode
    raise ValueError("No JSON object could be decoded")
ValueError: No JSON object could be decoded
1 Solution

georgen_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

last line in the error above:
>ValueError: No JSON object could be decoded
I was able to fix this by deleting the App's modinputs checkpoint (pointer file) that tracks the last location of the FW log.

fix: cp to backup or delete $SPLUNK_HOME/var/lib/splunk/modinputs/checkpoint_opseclea/<input_name >

I've also reported this as a bug, please contact Support for more info.

View solution in original post

splunkreal
Motivator

Hello,

does restarting Splunkd is necessary after deleting the checkpoint file (pointer)?

Thanks.

* If this helps, please upvote or accept solution 🙂 *
0 Karma

georgen_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

last line in the error above:
>ValueError: No JSON object could be decoded
I was able to fix this by deleting the App's modinputs checkpoint (pointer file) that tracks the last location of the FW log.

fix: cp to backup or delete $SPLUNK_HOME/var/lib/splunk/modinputs/checkpoint_opseclea/<input_name >

I've also reported this as a bug, please contact Support for more info.

evinasco
Communicator

I need to delete folder or just the files?

0 Karma

evinasco
Communicator

i have this problem

2018-08-15 22:19:27,785 +0000 log_level=ERROR, pid=36052, tid=MainThread, file=checkpoint_opseclea.py, func_name=main, code_line_no=178 | Encounter exception=Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_checkpoint-opseclea/bin/checkpoint_opseclea.py", line 175, in main
    run()
  File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_checkpoint-opseclea/bin/checkpoint_opseclea.py", line 97, in run
    tconfig = tc.create_ta_opseclea_config()
  File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_checkpoint-opseclea/bin/splunk_ta_checkpoint_opseclea/ta_opseclea_config.py", line 15, in create_ta_opseclea_config
    return TaOpsecLeaConfig(meta_configs, input_configs, client_schema)
  File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_checkpoint-opseclea/bin/splunk_ta_checkpoint_opseclea/splunktaucclib/data_collection/ta_config.py", line 23, in __init__
    self._generate_configs()
  File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_checkpoint-opseclea/bin/splunk_ta_checkpoint_opseclea/splunktaucclib/data_collection/ta_config.py", line 105, in _generate_configs
    self._set_task_configs(task_configs)
  File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_checkpoint-opseclea/bin/splunk_ta_checkpoint_opseclea/ta_opseclea_config.py", line 21, in _set_task_configs
    connection = task_config[c.connections][task_config[c.connection]]
KeyError: u'10.107.35.30'
0 Karma

georgen_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

this appears to be a configuration issue, would it be possible to capture a diag of this instance and open a Support case? We should be able to quickly identify the stanza/setting that's causing this KeyError

0 Karma

evinasco
Communicator

i created the splunk support 1088513

:9

0 Karma

georgen_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Just the files

0 Karma

aosso
Path Finder

We had a crash on the ESX containting one of our Splunks that caused a sudden reboot and was facing this same error (latest Opsec lea plugin).

Solution worked great!

Thanks

0 Karma

shawngarrettsgp
Path Finder

Worked great for me on version 4.2.0, thanks so glad I found this post, thanks! I'm still waiting on support to acknowledge the case I submitted for the issue yesterday despite them saying they'ed e-mail back in the morning. Thats what I get for not googling the cryptic error messages first. It was confusing as during my troubleshooting the DEBUG checking running the addon manually to a temp file worked fine. As you mentioned we had a hard reboot so didn't shutdown cleanly. (really not sure why we pay for support still tbh...)

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...