All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk Add-on for Apache Web Server: If I have this app do I still need a forwarder to forward Apache logs?

deepakc

I have Splunk 7.1 / RHEL65 / Test enviroment
(New to splunk)

I see you have Splunk Add-on for Apache Web Server, but do you still need a forwarder to forward the apache logs?

Rgds
Dee

0 Karma
1 Solution

mayurr98
Super Champion

hey @deepakc

Yes, you will still need forwarder to forward apache logs
as add-on works on the top of universal forwarder.add-on extracts the data from source and forwarder forwards data to the indexer.

difference between forwarder and add-on is as follows:

universal forwarder: it is used to send data from source to indexer
Splunk app: you need to install in indexer or search head and shows you report, visualization
Splunk addon: you need to install Splunk add-on in forwarder and addon extract the data from source (example run scripts in UNIX addon) v and send to indexer via forwarder

Let me know if this helps you!

View solution in original post

0 Karma

mayurr98
Super Champion

hey @deepakc

Yes, you will still need forwarder to forward apache logs
as add-on works on the top of universal forwarder.add-on extracts the data from source and forwarder forwards data to the indexer.

difference between forwarder and add-on is as follows:

universal forwarder: it is used to send data from source to indexer
Splunk app: you need to install in indexer or search head and shows you report, visualization
Splunk addon: you need to install Splunk add-on in forwarder and addon extract the data from source (example run scripts in UNIX addon) v and send to indexer via forwarder

Let me know if this helps you!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...