All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk Add-on Builder: Custom inputs.conf configuration option

MichaelMcAleer
Path Finder

Hi Splunk Community,

I am building a Python modular input using the Splunk add-on builder tool and I want to add a custom configuration option 'performance_custom_metrics' which is optional and set only in inputs.conf, not via the data input UI configuration defined when building the add-on.

Everything seems fine for the most part, but when I try to add a new data input I get the following error about the optional config option:

The following required arguments are missing: performance_custom_metrics

Because performance_custom_metrics is not defined in the add-on UI configuration I am not allowed to create inputs via the UI. Only manual creation via inputs.conf works as expected.

I've set required_on_create and required_on_edit both to False when defining the argument in inputs.py:

scheme.add_argument(smi.Argument(
'performance_custom_metrics', required_on_create=False,
required_on_edit=False))

From solnlib/packages/splunklib/modularinput/argument.py #60:

:param required_on_edit: ``Boolean``, whether this arg is required when editing an existing modular input of this kind.
:param required_on_create: ``Boolean``, whether this arg is required when creating a modular input of this kind.

Has anyone any idea what other option I need to set to make performance_custom_metrics an optional input parameter for my add-on?

Labels (3)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...