All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk Add-On for Windows Event Cleanup- What is happening to my data?

mcfabrero_acn
Explorer

Hi All,

I am currently working on ingesting WinEventLog:Security data and noticed that the event has been cleaned up even though I didn't configure the SEDCMD extractions in my props configuration. Please note that the props.conf in my local folder is exactly the same copy of the props.conf in my default folder.

mcfabrero_acn_1-1680516872015.png

I am looking specifically at the certificate information and would like it to be seen in my data in Splunk

mcfabrero_acn_0-1680516618687.png

This is what it looks like in Splunk:

mcfabrero_acn_2-1680517101964.png

I expect to also have the same data as what I have in my source

mcfabrero_acn_3-1680517151508.png

Any idea what happened and how can I troubleshoot to determine what's causing this to my data?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

mcfabrero_acn
Explorer

We have the configurations in the deployment server which I wasn't able to use btool command but I was able to figure out what causes the missing text/lines. Apparently, there are other Windows TA folders configured and  I got to see where the SEDCMD extractions were enabled. I checked the source type configurations in our SH Cloud and found that the extractions were renamed differently instead of having the default 

SEDCMD-clean_info_text_from_winsecurity_events_certificate_information = s/Certificate information is only[\S\s\r\n]+$//g

it was renamed to SEDCMD-clean2 s/Certificate information is only[\S\s\r\n]+$//g.

Appreciate your response! 🙂

View solution in original post

0 Karma

mcfabrero_acn
Explorer

We have the configurations in the deployment server which I wasn't able to use btool command but I was able to figure out what causes the missing text/lines. Apparently, there are other Windows TA folders configured and  I got to see where the SEDCMD extractions were enabled. I checked the source type configurations in our SH Cloud and found that the extractions were renamed differently instead of having the default 

SEDCMD-clean_info_text_from_winsecurity_events_certificate_information = s/Certificate information is only[\S\s\r\n]+$//g

it was renamed to SEDCMD-clean2 s/Certificate information is only[\S\s\r\n]+$//g.

Appreciate your response! 🙂

0 Karma

PaulPanther
Builder

Have you verified with btool that the shown props.conf  setting are applied?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...