All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk Add-On for Oracle Database and Syslog?

rfeldmann_sds
Loves-to-Learn Lots

Hello All,

We have an Oracle test server sending plain text audit logs via syslog to Splunk, and though we have the InfoSec and Splunk Add-On for Oracle Database add-ons installed, the logs are not getting the appropriate CIM-compliant sourcetypes added to them so they're not showing up as expected in the authentications area of the IS dashboards and searches.  We decided to go with plain text audit logs as we didn't need the inventory and performance events, so opted against using DB Connect. Using a forwarder is not out of the question, we just chose syslog since it meant not having to install anything on the Oracle server.

I've been reading the documentation and it seems unclear whether the Splunk Add-On for Oracle Database add-on must be installed on indexers in addition to the search head in order for the sourcetypes, tags, etc to get added like I thought they would. The documentation says it's conditional: "Required if you are monitoring files locally on Oracle servers with universal forwarders."

Since we're not using a forwarder, perhaps I just missed something in the configuration of the add-on? As far as I can tell all the apps and their pre-reqs are configured and enabled.

Edited for additional info: Splunk 7, Splunk Add-on for Oracle v3.7.0, and it appears we have one search head and two indexers.

Labels (1)
0 Karma

rfeldmann_sds
Loves-to-Learn Lots

Disregard, I eventually got a UF installed on a staging DB server and have the logs flowing that way.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...