All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk Add-On Builder: Is there any documentation or information about the helper functions?

ssanborn
Engager

I'm working with the Splunk Add-On Builder and am interested in learning more about some of the helper functions that are provided; namely, helper.save_check_point.

This helper method is referred to in the "example data collection logic" code provided in the Add-On Builder wizard:

checkpoint related helper functions

save checkpoint

helper.save_check_point(key, state)

delete checkpoint

helper.delete_check_point(key)

get checkpoint

state = helper.get_check_point(key)

...but I can't find documentation anywhere about what these methods do, or what their inputs/outputs are. The key parameter in this example does not seem to be declared earlier in the example code, so I lack context to guess what this is doing.

There are additional helper methods referred to in example code of which I'm additionally interested in learning usage details, like:
helper.set_log_level
helper.get_global_setting
helper.get_user_credential
and so on.

I've tried searching through Splunk Docs, on google, etc. and find only the example code. Can someone point me in the direction of documentation/API reference for the Splunk Add-On Builder, specifically the helper module? Or can anyone provide some information about these helper functions?

Many thanks in advance.

1 Solution

cmeerbeek
Path Finder

They have been released. Hope they help you as much as they have helped me 😉
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/AddonBuilder/2.1.0/UserGuide/PythonHelperFunctions

View solution in original post

cmeerbeek
Path Finder

They have been released. Hope they help you as much as they have helped me 😉
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/AddonBuilder/2.1.0/UserGuide/PythonHelperFunctions

gwang_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Currently, there is no doc about the helper function yet. But for the ckpt related functions.
the parameter key is a string which is the unique key for the state object. the state is a python dict which stores the states of your program.

You can think the ckpt as a simple key-value store. the value is a python dict and the key is a string.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...