All Apps and Add-ons

Slack Notification Alert: Seem to require admin privlidges to send alert per event

sharkannon
Explorer

Since upgrading to splunk 7.2.0 (we were on 7.0.0 before), Alerts that were created by non admin users that use the "For each result" trigger for alerts don't seem to go through with the splunk plugin.

We tried attaching both the slack alert and the email alerts, and users receive the emails correctly, but the slack alerts "disappear". I can assign the alert to a user with Admin OR promote the user to Admin and the alert seems to start working fine.

Do you know what permissions I may need to update our users with, or if this is a bug in the app?

The only thing I can see that MAY coincide is an error that says:

Error in 'sendalert' command: sendmodalert: Cannot access results_file: '/opt/splunk/var/run/splunk/dispatch/scheduler__USER__search__testalert_at_1541565840_19/per_result_alert/tmp_5.csv.gz'. Permission denied.

Other than that I can't seem to find anything in the logs that may be associated. File permissions and everything are correct.

serialmonkey
Path Finder

For those wondering, this was introduced in 7.2.1 and is apparently resolved in 7.2.4

See https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.2.3/ReleaseNotes/Knownissues - SPL-163315 & SPL-163882

paimonsoror
Builder

Any update on this? We are running into the same issue with 7.2.1. This is a serious issue if users need the AAO capability to do this.

0 Karma

sharkannon
Explorer

Through trial and error, discovered that you need to add admin_all_objects permissions to all users that use this feature. This appears to be something fairly new and, IMO kinda dangerous.

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If it used to work and now doesn't, you should file a support case.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...