All Apps and Add-ons

Sideview Utils not found after SoS 2.0 upgrade

mcantrell
Explorer

I upgraded Splunk on Splunk and Sideview Utils to the latest versions and now SoS is erroring:

"This instance of Splunk does not have the Sideview Utils app installed."

Clicking the install sideview utils button tells me that I have it installed. Anyone else having this problem?

ahmedumair

@dagryph Thank you!! Once i madbe it visible on the search head with SoS, then SoS started working again !!

0 Karma

hexx
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Got it. I'll see if I can reproduce this in-house.

0 Karma

tyronetv
Communicator

Ticket 80350.

0 Karma

hexx
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

@tyronetv : Ok this confirms that SVU is present and visible from splunkd's perspective. Could you please open a support case and attach a splunk diag as well as the output of %SPLUNK_HOME%\bin\splunk _internal call /services/apps/local? Let me know the case number here when you have it.

0 Karma

tyronetv
Communicator

gettingstarted CONFIGURED ENABLED VISIBLE

launcher CONFIGURED ENABLED VISIBLE

learned UNCONFIGURED ENABLED INVISIBLE

legacy UNCONFIGURED DISABLED INVISIBLE

sample_app UNCONFIGURED DISABLED INVISIBLE

search CONFIGURED ENABLED VISIBLE

sideview_utils UNCONFIGURED ENABLED VISIBLE

sos UNCONFIGURED ENABLED VISIBLE

splunk_datapreview CONFIGURED ENABLED INVISIBLE

SplunkDeploymentMonitor CONFIGURED ENABLED VISIBLE

SplunkForwarder UNCONFIGURED DISABLED INVISIBLE

SplunkLightForwarder UNCONFIGURED DISABLED INVISIBLE

ufx CONFIGURED ENABLED VISIBLE

webmon UNCONFIGURED ENABLED VISIBLE

windows UNCONFIGURED DISABLED VISIBLE

0 Karma

hexx
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

That should not happen if you start your command line session by right-clicking on the "Command Prompt" icon and selecting "run as administrator".

0 Karma

tyronetv
Communicator

Restart didn't fix it. 😞

For some reason, I can't redirect the output on my windows install. Splunk.exe always spawns a new command window and bypasses my redirect. I will work on getting you those outputs.

0 Karma

hexx
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yes please try a restart.

If this doesn't help, could you provide the output of %SPLUNK_HOME%\bin\splunk display app? Another output that would be interesting to see, although it is a bit longer, is that of %SPLUNK_HOME%\bin\splunk _internal call /services/apps/local.

0 Karma

tyronetv
Communicator

Yes. Both the admin account and my personal account each have their TZ set in their user profiles.

I unset (i.e. set it to Default) for Admin but still get the "you need to install..." message screen. Maybe a restart. I don't know. 🙂

0 Karma

hexx
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

This is strange. Just out of curiosity, could you check if the per-user time zone of the admin user (or of any other user) has been set to anything else than "system default" in Manager » Your account.

0 Karma

tyronetv
Communicator

I have installed SVU 1.3.4 and SoS 2.1.0 on a Windows 2008 R2 install of Splunk 4.3.1.
Every execution of SoS results in "This instance of Splunk does not have Sideview Utils app installed."
I have done the 'bump' and created $SPUNK_HOME/etc/apps/sideview_utils/local/app.conf with the is_visible = 1 entry to no avail.

Has anyone figured this out yet? Was a ticket ever opened? Do I need to open one?

0 Karma

dagryph
Explorer

Make sure the Sideview Utils (SVU) app is visible from the perspective of the UI. If it's invisible, it makes it unavailable to SoS. Once it's made visible on the search head with SoS, then SoS started working again for us.

When SVU has in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/sideview_utils/local/app.conf:

[ui]
is_visible = false

...the checks for SVU in SoS will fail and you will see complaints that Sideview is not installed. In contrast, when SVU's app.conf contains :

[ui]
is_visible = true

...then SoS can detect SVU and will work as expected.

amstaff
Explorer

This worked for me on 4.2.5. Thanks.

0 Karma

hexx
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

If you are running one of the early version of 4.2, you might need to restart Splunk or to force an app refresh for that change to take effect.

At any rate, if you open a support case please let me know its number.

0 Karma

bobdoyle
Explorer

No Dice for me. in the [ui] section there was no is_visible, I put it in but it didn't work. Will enter a support case soon.

0 Karma

hexx
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

@dagryph : Splendid find, I think you nailed it.
@mcantrell, @dschreck, @bobdoyle : Could you please confirm that this is indeed the issue you are seeing?

0 Karma

hexx
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

@mcantrell : Thank you for the additional information. Let me know what the case # is once it is opened. So, just to be clear, where does this message show up exactly? A screenshot would be great.

0 Karma

mcantrell
Explorer

I tried the bump and it didn't seem to have any effect. I also noticed that SoS 2.1.0 was available so I upgraded and it still has the problem. I'll open a support case later today and update this thread.

dschreck
Engager

I'm having the same issue. I just upgraded to Splunk 4.3 (on Windows), then went about upgrading my Apps.

I upgraded SoS from 1.x (not sure exactly) to 2.1.0. this did not require restarting Splunk. I then upgraded Sideview Utils from 1.2.4 to 1.2.5, again no restart was required. When I run SoS now i get the error that Sideview Utils is not installed.

I tried the _bump, but it didn't help.

hexx
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Thank you, I'll try to reproduce your scenario. One other thing I'll ask you to do is to hit the splunkweb static resources endpoint @ http[s]://[splunkweb_host]:[splunkweb_port]/_bump. Please bump the cache version there and try to access SoS again. If this doesn't work, please open a support case and let me know its number. I'll pick it up and we can address the issue in that fashion.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...