All Apps and Add-ons

Sideview Utils error on launch

itatcapital
Explorer

Hello,

we are using Splunk server still under Eval.

Splunk v6 on Windows 2008 server

I need to load the SOS app, which requires Sideview Utils.
SOS needs version 1.7 or higher of Sideview Utils.

I have installed the latest version from the Sideview Utils site, which is v 3.2

I have restarted the server as suggested in a post from 2012, however
when we attempt to launch the Sideview Utils app we get the following ...
"Splunk encountered the following unknown module: "SideviewUtils" . The view may not load properly"

Any help would be appreciated.

cheers,
IT@C

1 Solution

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

OK. I figured this out. There was one change in Sideview Utils 3.2 specifically, which released only a week ago, that introduced a problem only in Internet Explorer 8, and only if microsoft's "Compatibility Mode" was turned on. That mode is not on by default, so I had not been testing with it on. Essentially that mode tries to turn IE8 into IE7 (in this day and age, that is no longer a good idea by the way so unless you have a very good reason to have the mode on, turn it off!)

Anyway, with this change introduced last week, if you used IE8 and you had that obscure mode on, basically everything in Sideview Utils would break -- the modules, the Sideview Editor, the Lookup Updater, etc..

This has been fixed in Sideview Utils 3.2.1 which is now released.

http://www.sideviewapps.com/apps/sideview-utils/

View solution in original post

0 Karma

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

OK. I figured this out. There was one change in Sideview Utils 3.2 specifically, which released only a week ago, that introduced a problem only in Internet Explorer 8, and only if microsoft's "Compatibility Mode" was turned on. That mode is not on by default, so I had not been testing with it on. Essentially that mode tries to turn IE8 into IE7 (in this day and age, that is no longer a good idea by the way so unless you have a very good reason to have the mode on, turn it off!)

Anyway, with this change introduced last week, if you used IE8 and you had that obscure mode on, basically everything in Sideview Utils would break -- the modules, the Sideview Editor, the Lookup Updater, etc..

This has been fixed in Sideview Utils 3.2.1 which is now released.

http://www.sideviewapps.com/apps/sideview-utils/

0 Karma

itatcapital
Explorer

Hi,

thanks for the reply.

that fixed my problem!

cheers!

[now I have to get SOS working, which is not part of this thread and I will check the forum.. anyway, launch app and get error:

Splunk encountered the following unknown module: "sosFTR"
The view may not load properly
]

0 Karma

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

That's really peculiar.
The server is saying that it did not find the SideviewUtils module, which is in every build of the Sideview Utils app.

1) can you go to
http://HOST:PORT/en-US/modules

and look for "SideviewUtils" - is there a module by that name in the page?
Are other sideview modules like Pulldown, Search and HTML listed there?

2) are there any javascript errors on the page when you get the error message.
You can find these in the developer console or JS console. only JS messages matter, not CSS messages or network messages, and only errors matter, not warnings or info etc.

3) If there is a JS error, it's possible that this is caused by a cacheing problem where splunk is cacheing some of the overall sideview code from the older build. I have run into this kind of problem before. Can you go to
http://HOST:POST/en-US/app/sideview_utils/refresh_entities
and scroll down to the bottom - on the left hand side you'll see a link to the bump endpoint.
Click that link and on the following screen click the grey button.

This will increment the bump endpoint and thus invalidate all static file caches.
I'm curious to see whether this makes any JS error go away and whether it fixes the issue.

4) can you right click the page giving you the error and select "view HTML source" and send me that HTML file? I'm curious to troubleshoot some things like whether you have explicitly turned JS minification on.

nikhiltikoo
Explorer
  1. SideviewUtils module is present as Splunk.Module.SideviewUtils. Even the Pulldown, Search and HTML modules are listed there.

2. The only error it shows is this.
    "Splunk encountered the following unknown module: "HTML" . The view may not load properly." And this message is showed twice.
    In Developer console, i am getting a javascript error saying "application.js:121 Uncaught ReferenceError: Sideview is not defined".

3. The count is incrementing as i keep clicking the Bump Version button

`

<head>
    <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=edge" />
    <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
    <meta http-equiv="content-language" content="en_GB" />
    <meta http-equiv="imagetoolbar" content="no" />
    <meta name="author" content="Splunk Inc." />

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="/en-GB/static/@272645.40/img/favicon.ico" />
    <link rel="apple-touch-icon-precomposed" sizes="57x57" href="/en-GB/static/@272645.40/img/bookmark/apple-icon-57x57-precomposed.png" />
    <link rel="apple-touch-icon-precomposed" sizes="72x72" href="/en-GB/static/@272645.40/img/bookmark/apple-icon-72x72-precomposed.png" />
    <link rel="apple-touch-icon-precomposed" sizes="114x114" href="/en-GB/static/@272645.40/img/bookmark/apple-icon-114x114-precomposed.png" />
    <link rel="apple-touch-icon-precomposed" sizes="144x144" href="/en-GB/static/@272645.40/img/bookmark/apple-icon-144x144-precomposed.png" />
    <meta name="msapplication-TileColor" content="#65A637">
    <meta name="msapplication-TileImage" content="/en-GB/static/@272645.40/img/bookmark/ms-tileicon-144x144.png">

<title>
Sideview Editor

<script type="text/javascript">
        window.$C = {"SPLUNKD_FREE_LICENSE": false, "JS_LOGGER_LEVEL": "INFO", "UI_UNIX_START_TIME": 1440573142, "JSCHART_TEST_MODE": false, "SYSTEM_NAMESPACE": "system", "JSCHART_TRUNCATION_LIMIT_IE10": 20000, "JSCHART_TRUNCATION_LIMIT_IE11": 20000, "USERNAME": "admin", "MRSPARKLE_ROOT_PATH": "", "FLASH_MAJOR_VERSION": 9, "JS_LOGGER_MODE": "None", "SEARCH_RESULTS_TIME_FORMAT": "%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S.%Q%z", "JS_LOGGER_MODE_SERVER_POLL_BUFFER": 1000, "VERSION_LABEL": "6.2.5", "JSCHART_TRUNCATION_LIMIT": null, "JS_LOGGER_MODE_SERVER_END_POINT": "util/log/js", "DISPATCH_TIME_FORMAT": "%s.%Q", "JOB_MAX_POLLING_INTERVAL": 1000, "BUILD_PUSH_NUMBER": 40, "BUILD_NUMBER": 272645, "SSO_CREATED_SESSION": false, "EMBED_FOOTER": "splunk>", "MAX_UPLOAD_SIZE": 524288000, "JSCHART_TRUNCATION_LIMIT_CHROME": 20000, "PDFGEN_IS_AVAILABLE": 1, "SERVER_ZONEINFO": "### SERIALIZED TIMEZONE FORMAT 1.0;C0;Y0 NW 55 54 43;$", "JS_LOGGER_MODE_SERVER_MAX_BUFFER": 100, "DJANGO_ROOT_PATH": "/dj", "JSCHART_TRUNCATION_LIMIT_FIREFOX": 20000, "FLASH_MINOR_VERSION": 0, "SPLUNKD_PATH": "/en-GB/splunkd/__raw", "DEFAULT_NAMESPACE": "search", "UI_INACTIVITY_TIMEOUT": 60, "PIVOT_ADHOC_ACCELERATION_MODE": "Elastic", "JOB_MIN_POLLING_INTERVAL": 100, "NOCACHE": false, "MRSPARKLE_PORT_NUMBER": "8000", "FLASH_REVISION_VERSION": 124, "SERVER_TIMEZONE_OFFSET": 0, "EMBED_URI": "", "JSCHART_TRUNCATION_LIMIT_IE7": 2000, "JSCHART_TRUNCATION_LIMIT_IE8": 2000, "JSCHART_TRUNCATION_LIMIT_IE9": 20000, "LOCALE": "en-GB", "ENABLE_PIVOT_ADHOC_ACCELERATION": true, "JSCHART_TRUNCATION_LIMIT_SAFARI": 20000}
    </script>

<script type="text/javascript" src="/en-GB/static/@272645.40/js/common.min.js"></script>                 

<script type="text/javascript" src="/en-GB/i18ncatalog?autoload=1"></script>

<!--[if IE 7]><link rel="stylesheet" href="/en-GB/static/@272645.40/css/sprites-ie7.css"><![endif]-->
</head>

<div class="splClearfix"></div>
</body>

`

0 Karma

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

as for the HTML - you can just email it to me at nick [at] sideviewapps.com I'm primarily interested in whether you have minification on.

However, that line number does not match up to the actual latest SideviewUtils.js So can you send me SideviewUtils.js from etc/apps/sideview_utils/appserver/static/modules/SideviewUtils/SideviewUtils.js ?

Possibly the older version was installed with different ownership or filesystem permissions than the newly upgraded version.

At this point I recommend aggressively removing sideview_utils from the filesystem and then reinstalling 3.2 fresh.

0 Karma

itatcapital
Explorer

hi,

thanks for the reply.

The SideviewUtils module listed
the other ones are listed as
Splunk.Module.Pulldown, etc.

1. JS error yes, it is:

SideviewUtils.js line 1329
'Sideview' is undefined
HTML.js line 14
Code: 0, char: 9
URI: http://HOST:PORT/en-US/modules/@196940.1:260/HTML/HTML.js

1. Bumped version
    same error as in point 2

2. how do i upload HTML?
    is there anything in the HTML that may provide info on our systems that should not be provided on a forum?

cheers!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...