All Apps and Add-ons

Sideview Utils Redirector Error 2.2.9

slierninja
Communicator

I'm getting this error in Sideview Utils when clicking on a SimpleResultsTable with a Redirector module. The Redirector module also doesn't work for any of our views after we upgraded from 1.3.5. When we click on the link to drilldown, nothing happens - previously in 1.3.5 the proper URI was launched without error.

Uncaught TypeError: Object #<Object> has no method 'setDrilldownSearchTerms' core_patches.js:511
Splunk.Module.SimpleResultsTable.$.klass.getModifiedContext core_patches.js:511
(anonymous function) common.min.js:5821
 Splunk.Module.DispatchingModule.$.klass.pushContextToChildren modules-c89cd218a3837f945ed15817bdf033c3.min.js:546
(anonymous function) common.min.js:5821
Splunk.Module.SimpleResultsTable.$.klass.onRowClick modules-c89cd218a3837f945ed15817bdf033c3.min.js:3446
(anonymous function) common.min.js:5672
jQuery.event.handle common.min.js:1419
elemData.handle.eventHandle common.min.js:1245

Source Reference

<module name="SimpleResultsTable">
    <param name="drilldown">all</param>
    <param name="allowTransformedFieldSelect">True</param>                            
    <module name="Redirector">
        <param name="popup">True</param>
        <param name="url">flashtimeline</param>
        <param name="arg.q">search ....</param>
    </module>
</module>
1 Solution

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

From your error message it's clear that there's a cacheing problem in Splunk itself unfortunately. Splunk has very aggressive client-side cacheing, and the cache is supposed to be effectively expired on app upgrades, but I'm getting cases where people are running into trouble. In these cases apps get upgraded and what ends up loading in the browser is a mixture of old code and new code.

It looks like you have old code for the SideviewUtils module but new code for the core_patches.js file. This leads to a bit of a trainwreck at runtime, and that Javascript error.

Fixing it for just you -- clear your browser cache.

Trying to fix it for everyone -- In Sideview Utils go to "Key Techniques > Other > Tools ". Then click on the link to the FreshMaker (bookmark it if you haven't already because it's quite useful. Then down near the bottom of the Freshmaker there's a link that says "/en-US/_bump " Click that.

That will take you to: http://YOUR_HOST_AND_PORT/en-US/_bump

where you can click the button you see there. That will increment the bump number, which should effectively defeat everyone's caches, by slightly modifying all the underlying URL's to all static files.

View solution in original post

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

From your error message it's clear that there's a cacheing problem in Splunk itself unfortunately. Splunk has very aggressive client-side cacheing, and the cache is supposed to be effectively expired on app upgrades, but I'm getting cases where people are running into trouble. In these cases apps get upgraded and what ends up loading in the browser is a mixture of old code and new code.

It looks like you have old code for the SideviewUtils module but new code for the core_patches.js file. This leads to a bit of a trainwreck at runtime, and that Javascript error.

Fixing it for just you -- clear your browser cache.

Trying to fix it for everyone -- In Sideview Utils go to "Key Techniques > Other > Tools ". Then click on the link to the FreshMaker (bookmark it if you haven't already because it's quite useful. Then down near the bottom of the Freshmaker there's a link that says "/en-US/_bump " Click that.

That will take you to: http://YOUR_HOST_AND_PORT/en-US/_bump

where you can click the button you see there. That will increment the bump number, which should effectively defeat everyone's caches, by slightly modifying all the underlying URL's to all static files.

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

No problem. Let me know if you have any problems. (support [at] sideviewapps.com ) I'll also try to do some formal testing on 1.3.5 - 2.2.X upgrades. It's troubling that there's a cacheing problem here.

0 Karma

slierninja
Communicator

Brilliant - I haven't ran into this caching issue yet, great to know how to fix it for all users. Kudos for the help.

0 Karma

slierninja
Communicator

Downgrading from 2.2.9 to 1.3.5 fixes this issue - but we'd really like to start using the latest if possible. Please advise.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...