All Apps and Add-ons

Sideview Editor unable to edit/create views

cyndiback
Path Finder

Splunk version 4.3.4 and Sideview Utils version 2.4.1

I am unable to edit or create new views. When I launch sideview editor the drop down options for App and Views are blank.

alt text

==Update

Browser: Firefox 19.0

Tools > Web Developer > Error Console > No errors logged. Some warnings (example below):

Timestamp: 2/27/2013 3:10:59 PM

Warning: Unknown property '-moz-border-radius-topleft'. Declaration dropped.

Source File: https://oc05.oc/en-US/static/@136012/css/skins/default/default.css

Line: 203

I tried upgrading Sideview Utils (restarting splunk)

I removed sideview utils completely and re-installed (restarted splunk)

Cleared browser cache (see same issue when accessing editor on different machines)

1 Solution

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

After a bit of troubleshooting and back and forth emails, the problem ended up being mysteriously resolved by uninstalling and reinstalling the entire Splunk indexer and Sideview Utils. After that the problem went away completely. Somehow something had gotten corrupted in the install of the app or in Splunk itself.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

After a bit of troubleshooting and back and forth emails, the problem ended up being mysteriously resolved by uninstalling and reinstalling the entire Splunk indexer and Sideview Utils. After that the problem went away completely. Somehow something had gotten corrupted in the install of the app or in Splunk itself.

0 Karma

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Did you ever figure this out? The only thing I can think of is that you're user account is some very unprivileged user, and that therefore the search language that generates the app and view lists is bringing back empty results.

Can you go to /en-US/apps/sideview_utils/charting

and run | splunkentity apps/local | table name
and let me know if it returns a list of apps?

0 Karma

nikhiltikoo
Explorer

Hi. I am facing the same problems. This is the list that is being generated on running the command | splunkentity apps/local | table name

name
afterglow
d3plus
framework
gettingstarted
introspection_generator_addon
launcher
learned
legacy
log_source_status
netflow
sample_app
search
sideview_utils
simple_xml_examples
sos
splunk_datapreview
splunk_management_console
SplunkForwarder
SplunkLightForwarder

0 Karma

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Are you on the latest Sideview Utils? Also what Splunk version are you on? I ask because the latest version released only this week, had a number of fixes for the Sideview Editor. Also can you email (support at sideviewapps.com) or post any JS errors that appear in the Javascript console?

0 Karma

nikhiltikoo
Explorer

Sideview Utils version is 3.3.6 and the splunk version is 6.2.5
Okay let me install the latest version of Sideview Utils and see if it solves the issue i am facing.

0 Karma

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Thanks for all the details. Can you email us at support [at] sideviewapps.com . I have a few more troubleshooting ideas but we should probably try and get on a quick webex tomorrow. One more idea - if you go to /en-US/app/sideview_utils/control does the pulldown render there, and second idea - can you go to /en-US/app/sideview_utils/flashtimeline and run | splunkentity apps/local | table name and describe what you see or email me the exported results as a csv?

0 Karma

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Strange! Can you add what browser you are using and whether there are any errors in the browser console? On Firefox that would be in "Tools > Web Developer > Error Console". If Sideview Utils was recently upgraded, has Splunk been restarted? Also make sure you've cleared your browser cache - there have been some unfortunate issues in the core Splunk systems where old app code gets cached even across restarts.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...