All Apps and Add-ons

Search Head Cluster

jaxjohnny2000
Builder

The Deployer does not push changes to the share folder. If the Search Heads also do not replicate this folder. Does this mean we need to manually copy the workspace app_templates to each SH in the cluster?

Stage Workspace Template The Welcome Page Creator contains a Workspace app template. To take advantage of it, copy the folder $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/welcome/static/workspace to $SPLUNK_HOME/share/splunk/app_templates/workspace (FYI: Restart not required!)

0 Karma
1 Solution

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

What you said is correct but it's not necessary. I believe the SHC will not allow you to create a new app through the UI. That's why it's recommended to use another instance to create the app, from the template, and then place it in the appropriate location for the SHC deployer to push it to the SHC members.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

What you said is correct but it's not necessary. I believe the SHC will not allow you to create a new app through the UI. That's why it's recommended to use another instance to create the app, from the template, and then place it in the appropriate location for the SHC deployer to push it to the SHC members.

0 Karma

jaxjohnny2000
Builder

Thank you for the response. That makes sense. So on a stand alone server, install Welcome, copy the template, and then create and configure the app. The take the app and use the SHC Deployer to distribute. There is no reason to replicate the template itself. Nice. I believe this is the answer.

0 Karma

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yea, although since the Welcome Page Creator has many global shared prebuilt panels you'll use, then get that on the Deployer and pushed to the SHC members. You just don't need to bother with the template at that level.

Let me know if that confused things.

Make sure to select the "accept" link to mark the answer as such!

0 Karma

jaxjohnny2000
Builder

Yes. and the pre-built panels will be part of the app I create and deploy.

0 Karma

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hmmm. Usually folks leave the prebuilt panels within the Welcome Page Creator app and deploy that. Since it is hidden from nav it will simply populate the panels you need in your new app.

The reason is this makes it easier when the panels are updated in the Welcome Page Creator so you don't have to then copy and update them in another app. By updating just the Welcome Page Creator, it would propagate the update to any apps referring to its prebuilt panels.

I hope that doesn't confuse things more. Lemme know?

0 Karma

skalliger
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I think you answered your own question already. Yes, the deployer is not meant to distribute the $SPLUNK_HOME$/share directory. It's there for distributing app configurations.

Skalli

0 Karma

jaxjohnny2000
Builder

🙂 I thought so. So, once I make the manual copy to the app_templates, the rest of the configurations should replicate I believe. So if I create a new app, those apps will replicate without a deployer. What do you think?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...