All Apps and Add-ons

SOS topology icons are not loading behind a reverse proxy

yoho
Contributor

After running a trace with HTTPfox behind my browser, I found out the reason why I wasn't able to see the icons in the "topology" view.

Icons in this view are referenced as relative to the "root" of the URL server. For instance,

/static/app/sos/images/Forwarder_orange.png

Problem is that this URL is not caught up by the reverse proxy as belonging to splunk. Indeed, I had to define the "root_endpoint" parameter in web.conf and my reverse proxy is relying on it. Eventually, I obtain a 404 HTTP error message from the reverse proxy.

Without a reverse proxy, Splunk is nice and redirects the previous URL to "http://$splunk_server/[$splunk_root/]en-US/static/app/sos/images/Forwarder_orange.png" but unfortunately my browser is not talking to splunk directly so won't get redirected.

By the way (but probably out of scope for SoS), the redirection appears to be hard-coded to "en-US", even if your locale in the URL was "en-GB".

1 Solution

LukeMurphey
Champion

It is a minor defect in the app. Supporting custom root endpoints in apps is difficult and little issues like this tend to get missed. I found the issue in the code and I'll reach out to the developer wrote the app so we can get it fixed.

View solution in original post

LukeMurphey
Champion

It is a minor defect in the app. Supporting custom root endpoints in apps is difficult and little issues like this tend to get missed. I found the issue in the code and I'll reach out to the developer wrote the app so we can get it fixed.

yoho
Contributor

Still doesn't appear to be fixed in the latest version of SoS 😞

0 Karma

Dev999
Communicator

Is there a work-around without a patch/release? I noticed a problem with GoogleMap app that seems very similar to this one, as described here:
http://answers.splunk.com/answers/131488/googlemap-icons-not-displayed-after-installed-apache-proxy

Any help on my problem?

Thanks,
Tony

0 Karma

LukeMurphey
Champion

BTW: the developers of SOS acknowledged the issue and are fixing it.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...