All Apps and Add-ons

SNMP Splunk MA App for Netcool: Search Head Cluster Supported??,Is this add-on supported on a Search Head Cluster??

fahmed1
Engager

Is this add-on search head cluster supported?? I have this add-on deployed to both our prod (clustered) environment and our dev/qa (non-clustered) environment. The add-on seems to work perfectly fine on our non-clustered environment, however, it is throwing errors in our prod environment. The alert action configurations are identical across both environments.

FieldValidationException: The argument '_cam_workers' is not valid

0 Karma
1 Solution

pellegrini
Path Finder

I don't think this error is related to Search Head Clusters.
I saw this error on non-clustered Search Head where also the Common Information Model (CIM) version 4.12.0 is installed.
https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/1621/

cat /opt/splunk/var/log/splunk/netcool_custom_modular_alert.log
2019-05-22 10:15:01,597 ERROR Execution failed: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/netcool_custom_modular_alert/bin/modular_alert.py", line 539, in execute
    cleaned_params = self.validate(payload['configuration'])
  File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/netcool_custom_modular_alert/bin/modular_alert.py", line 490, in validate
    raise FieldValidationException("The argument '%s' is not valid" % (name))
FieldValidationException: The argument '_cam' is not valid

2019-05-22 10:22:02,094 ERROR Execution failed: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/netcool_custom_modular_alert/bin/modular_alert.py", line 539, in execute
  File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/netcool_custom_modular_alert/bin/modular_alert.py", line 490, in validate

Run btool to see if CIM is causing the conflict with the NetCool app. If you see _cam config here, that might be the cause of the error. Or it might be another app with alert_actions config.

/opt/splunk/bin/splunk btool alert_actions list --debug

The config is locaded here:

-bash-4.2$ pwd
/opt/splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_SA_CIM/default
-bash-4.2$ cat alert_actions.conf

param._cam =
param._cam_workers =

Comment out these rows and restart Search Head and see if NetCool app works fine.
If it does, you should investigate what to do with that alert_actions config, if you need it.

View solution in original post

rrthokala

Looks like that seems to be the problem. That fixed it for me.

0 Karma

pellegrini
Path Finder

I don't think this error is related to Search Head Clusters.
I saw this error on non-clustered Search Head where also the Common Information Model (CIM) version 4.12.0 is installed.
https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/1621/

cat /opt/splunk/var/log/splunk/netcool_custom_modular_alert.log
2019-05-22 10:15:01,597 ERROR Execution failed: Traceback (most recent call last):
FieldValidationException: The argument '_cam' is not valid

2019-05-22 10:22:02,094 ERROR Execution failed: Traceback (most recent call last):

Run btool to see if CIM is causing the conflict with the NetCool app. If you see _cam config here, that might be the cause of the error. Or it might be another app with alert_actions config.

/opt/splunk/bin/splunk btool alert_actions list --debug

The config is locaded here:

-bash-4.2$ pwd
/opt/splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_SA_CIM/default
-bash-4.2$ cat alert_actions.conf

param._cam =
param._cam_workers =

Comment out these rows and restart Search Head and see if NetCool app works fine.
If it does, you should investigate what to do with that alert_actions config, if you need it.

kkrishnan_splun
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Could you please tell me where you installed the add on ? Was it on heavy forwarders ? Also could you share a screenshot of the full error not releasing any sensitive data ?

0 Karma

pellegrini
Path Finder

The app is installed on a Search Head, Splunk Enterprise 7.1.2. It hasn't role heavy forwarder.
The full error messages are in the answer above where python script arguments are not valid, referring to arguments _cam and _cam_workers.

It can be helpful to print the modular_alert.py payload by adding this just before row 539, hence row 539 is throwing the error message.

with open('/opt/splunk/temp/file.txt','w') as f: f.write(pprint.pformat(payload))
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...