All Apps and Add-ons

SNMP Modular Input Tutorial

rsgunter

Hello fellow Splunkers!

Coming from an infrastructure background, I'm entirely new to the Splunk world, but I'm incredibly excited to learn, but honestly I'm about as a green as they come.

I'm wanting to use SNMP for some devices we have, and per the documentation for the SNMP Modular Input, I will need to repackage an MIB that I have into a .py in order for it to work properly.

My problem is that, I've -never- used Python, and I haven't a clue as to what to do. I've searched the forums and tried to figure it out on my own, but it hasn't worked out. I was able to install Python and pysnmp, but that's about as far as I've gotten. It seems most of the tutorials are for people that actually know what they are doing. 🙂

Could someone either link me to a proper tutorial for total beginners on this process, or maybe just give me a quick walk through on the proper steps?

Thanks so much guys!

These are the instructions, if you are unfamiliar with the app:
http://apps.splunk.com/app/1537/

*Any additional custom MIBs need to be converted into Python Modules.
You can simply do this by using the build-pysnmp-mib tool that is part of the pysnmp installation

build-pysnmp-mib -o SOME-CUSTOM-MIB.py SOME-CUSTOM-MIB.mib
build-pysnmp-mib is just a wrapper around smidump.

So alternatively you can also execute :
smidump -f python mib-text-file.txt | libsmi2pysnmp > mib-text-file.py*

Tags (2)
0 Karma

jaracan
Communicator

Hi rsgunter,

Can you share with me the solution to resolve this? I am trying the SNMP Modular Input to work but no luck at the moment.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This thread is three years old. Please post a new question.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

rsgunter

I finally figured this out.

I was using Ubuntu and I just thought, "hey, why not try Fedora?"

Seemed to work out better, probably because I was using Python 2+ and not 3+, but either way, working now. 🙂

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...