All Apps and Add-ons

SA LDAP Search password in base 64

raziasaduddin
Path Finder

I downloaded the SA LDAP Search and noticed that the password for the account that I use to search my domains is stored in base64. Are there any plans to make it more secure like the authentication.conf LDAP strategies? We were able to get the designers of the Cisco IPS app to pass the authentication through the app instead of storing passowrds in conf files.

[spl.com]

server = host1;host2;host3

port = 636

ssl = true

basedn = DC=spl,DC=com

binddn = cn=Splunk Searcher,OU=Managed Service Accounts,DC=spl,DC=com

password = {64}fohhiuehgihgri

alternatedomain = SPL

jcoates_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi, we switched to Splunk's internal password storage mechanism in 2014 (version 2.0).

0 Karma

Jason
Motivator

There are definitely more secure ways of storing passwords, which they should be using. in the meantime, here's how to "securely" (at least on your own box, not through some internet service) base64 your password:

$ ./bin/splunk cmd python
>>> import base64
>>> base64.b64encode('enterMyPWhere')
'base64encpwhere=='

Don't forget to leave off the quotes when pasting back in to the conf file!

raziasaduddin
Path Finder

Also, If I enter a password in as base 64, it does not work, but if I do it in plaintext, it does. Thanks for the assistance!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...