All Apps and Add-ons

Running Browsing History Analysis on Windows with just a Universal Forwarder

realgandy
Explorer

Can you give details of how to get this to work on Windows that is only running a universal forwarder? I have installed a local copy of python, but the log gives the following errors:

05-02-2014 16:17:43.474 +0100 ERROR ExecProcessor - message from "python "C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\etc\apps\browsers\bin\monitor.py""   File "C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\etc\apps\browsers\bin\monitor.py", line 60
05-02-2014 16:17:43.474 +0100 ERROR ExecProcessor - message from "python "C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\etc\apps\browsers\bin\monitor.py""     except Exception,e:
05-02-2014 16:17:43.474 +0100 ERROR ExecProcessor - message from "python "C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\etc\apps\browsers\bin\monitor.py""                     ^
05-02-2014 16:17:43.474 +0100 ERROR ExecProcessor - message from "python "C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\etc\apps\browsers\bin\monitor.py"" SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Any thoughts on this please?

Thanks

0 Karma

MarioM
Motivator

the problem is that the monitor.py use 2 splunk python libraries:

import splunk.bundle as bundle
import splunk.util as util

And the universal forwarder doesnot have python or those librarie which you can find in a full splunk installation:

util.py

splunk_home\lib\python2.7\ctypes\

bundle.py

splunk_home\lib\python2.7\site-packages\splunk\clilib\
0 Karma

psbailey86
Explorer

I am having this exact issue with the latest version. Were you ever able to find a fix for this using a Windows Universal Forwarder?

Thanks!

MarioM
Motivator

you could try by putting those util.py... and bundle.py... in splunk_home\etc\apps\browsers\bin\

0 Karma

realgandy
Explorer

Are you saying it can't be done then.

Am I right to assume that those libraries require the full splunk installation for this app to work?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...