All Apps and Add-ons

Role based dashboard/view

chris
Motivator

Is there a possibility to access the role(s) of a user who is viewing a dashboard? Statrting from a base dasboard I would like to redirect power users to a different drilldown dashboard than regular users. If there is something like $role$ key/array that could be used, different urls could be constructed for different roles.

Thanks

Chris

1 Solution

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

How you have to do it, is that you have more than one copy of that base dashboard as well. Regular users see one copy of it, and power users another. The only difference between the two is that the drilldowns go to the corresponding drilldown views, which have similar permissions. To expand a little bit on the "permissions", you go into Manager > Views and you use the little "permissions" links to set which roles can see which views.

As far as just getting a $user.role$ key or something courtesy of Sideview Utils, and forking off of that in one dashboard, no I'm afraid there isn't. ValueSetter will be getting a way to set certain values conditionally, sometime later this year, and I might one day submit to the user requests for such a $role$ key, but the best way to do this is just duplicating both views and setting appropriate permissions in Manager as described above.

View solution in original post

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

How you have to do it, is that you have more than one copy of that base dashboard as well. Regular users see one copy of it, and power users another. The only difference between the two is that the drilldowns go to the corresponding drilldown views, which have similar permissions. To expand a little bit on the "permissions", you go into Manager > Views and you use the little "permissions" links to set which roles can see which views.

As far as just getting a $user.role$ key or something courtesy of Sideview Utils, and forking off of that in one dashboard, no I'm afraid there isn't. ValueSetter will be getting a way to set certain values conditionally, sometime later this year, and I might one day submit to the user requests for such a $role$ key, but the best way to do this is just duplicating both views and setting appropriate permissions in Manager as described above.

chris
Motivator

Thank you.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...