All Apps and Add-ons

Reporting and Management for OSSEC: Agent_id field not populated for some agents. Where in the python script is this value set?

sgleeson
Engager

Hi,

I have a Windows and linux environment using ossec.

I have puppet within the linux environment (https://forge.puppetlabs.com/jgazeley/ossec) .

When this puppet module imports the agent, it assigns a value for id. I believe that because this value is:
ID: 007f0101, Name: xxxxxxxxxxxx.xxxxxxxxx.com, IP: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, Active

Splunk does not populate this client when parsing the output of agent_control -l

I was wondering if someone knew where in the python script this value is set so I can play around to see if I can get it to work.

Shane

1 Solution

southeringtonp
Motivator

If it's showing in the raw Splunk data, but not extracting the field, try adding the following block to $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/ossec/local/transforms.conf:

[ossec_agent_control]
REGEX=ID: (\S+), Name: ([^\s,]+).*?, IP: (.*?), (.*)
FORMAT=agent_id::$1 reporting_host::$2 src_ip::$3 status::$4

You may also need to make changes in pyOSSEC.py itself. That module was written with the assumption of base-10, numeric IDs, but from a quick look the only place that's actually a coded dependency is when adding a new agent (circa line 535).

View solution in original post

southeringtonp
Motivator

If it's showing in the raw Splunk data, but not extracting the field, try adding the following block to $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/ossec/local/transforms.conf:

[ossec_agent_control]
REGEX=ID: (\S+), Name: ([^\s,]+).*?, IP: (.*?), (.*)
FORMAT=agent_id::$1 reporting_host::$2 src_ip::$3 status::$4

You may also need to make changes in pyOSSEC.py itself. That module was written with the assumption of base-10, numeric IDs, but from a quick look the only place that's actually a coded dependency is when adding a new agent (circa line 535).

sgleeson
Engager

This worked!!

Thanks.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...