All Apps and Add-ons

Remote collecting wineventlog from multiple servers

face2face

Hi everyone. I am new in splunk.
I want remote collect data from 20 Windows servers + 80 windows workstations without WEF (not WMI, only eventlog journals)

1. I installed UF on Windows with domain user mode.
  2. then installed Add-on for windows (Splunk_TA_windows) and configured it until put ip addresses into inputs.conf

i didnt find in docs how i can set list of ip addresses or hostnames in inputs.conf?
What is the best way to manage list of ip if i want install second UF? should i manage it right on the UF server or there is better way?

0 Karma

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

That is described in this section of the documentation: https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Data/MonitorWindowseventlogdata#Use_WMI

If you can't deploy UFs to each host, you can use WMI to pull logs remotely. Note that this is typically not really recommended as it performs and scales quite poorly (and config is a pain to maintain, as you need to set up WMI stanzas for each host you want to collect from).

0 Karma

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

I don't entirely follow your questions, can you elaborate a bit? Perhaps share the config you have so far?

0 Karma

face2face
OS Logs

[WinEventLog://Application]
disabled = 0
start_from = oldest
index = wineventlog_app
current_only = 1
checkpointInterval = 5
renderXml=false

[WinEventLog://Security]
disabled = 0
start_from = oldest
current_only = 1
evt_resolve_ad_obj = 1
evt_dc_name = dc01.ptdemo.local
evt_dns_name = ptdemo.local
checkpointInterval = 5
index = wineventlog_sec
blacklist1 = EventCode="4662" Message="Object Type:(?!\s*groupPolicyContainer)"
blacklist2 = EventCode="566" Message="Object Type:(?!\s*groupPolicyContainer)"
renderXml=false

[WinEventLog://System]
disabled = 0
start_from = oldest
current_only = 1
checkpointInterval = 5
renderXml=false
index = wineventlog_sys

0 Karma

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

That configuration will only let it collect the logs of the local machine where your UF is running.

What exactly do you want to achieve? A single UF that remotely pulls logs from all your systems, or do you want to deploy UFs to each of your windows hosts?

0 Karma

face2face

i know, that this config allow collect only local logs.
but i want collect remote logs
E.g. i have list of 20 servers
host1
host2
host20

Where i should put this list?

UF that remotely pulls logs from all your systems
yes, from all windows servers

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...