All Apps and Add-ons

Putting Google Maps onto a Dashboard

teward001
Path Finder

I'm not entirely certain I understand how to put Google Maps stuff onto a standard Splunk search dashboard. I'm trying to add a map of the data from one of the searches to a dashbaord to display that data, but I'm not understanding what I have to do to put the XML data into there. Can someone give me a little bit of guidance getting started?

0 Karma

pandyaparth

Can someone please explain step 4? I'm new to splunk and need some detailed info.
thanks heaps.
cheers,
Parth

0 Karma

appleman
Contributor

Here is what I always do to add Google Map into a dashboard.

1. Create a dashboard base (no map) in splunk dashboard. (Simple XML)
  2. Convert the simpleXML to advancedXML -> Try below. (http://localhost:8000/en-US/app/search/my_view?showsource=advanced)
  3. In Google Map app, create a query that you want to add.
  4. Add the below module into the splunk dashboard.

YOUR SEARCH
    -24h@h

500px
    roadmap
    off

5. Put your query created in GoogleMap app in "YOUR SEARCH".

Hope it helps.

0 Karma

appleman
Contributor

The module "layoutpanel="panel_row1_col1" defines where you put your panel on the dashboard. I need to see your module, but if you defines "panel_row1_col1", the panel should be on the top left. If you can share your XML that would help.

0 Karma

teward001
Path Finder

This didn't work, it now triggers an error message about not being able to generate the dashboard, as well as these: Misconfigured view 'test_dashboard' - layoutPanel is not defined for module GoogleMaps. Misconfigured view 'test_dashboard' - layoutPanel is not defined for module HiddenSearch.

0 Karma

appleman
Contributor

I'm sorry, I missed the part. Once you convert to advanced one, then you have to copy all advancedXML module in XML source box, and pasted (replace) it the original simpleXML on the splunk dashboard.

0 Karma

teward001
Path Finder

I did that, but even in that URL you've stated, there's no way to commit the changes. After I have the AdvancedXML, where does that go? Does that go to the "Edit Source", get pasted, and then saved, or what? Considering that I"m new to Splunk, you might have to deal with the more noobish questions from me. 😕

0 Karma

appleman
Contributor

You cannot convert it to advancedXML by editor. You need to change the domain as I explained. Add "?howsource=advanced"
(http://localhost:8000/en-US/app/search/my_view?showsource=advanced)

0 Karma

teward001
Path Finder

Is it possible to add this as its own item on a preexisting dashboard at all? As well, this did not work, there was no way to apply these changes in the link you provided, and no apparent way to get to advancedXML in the editor.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...