All Apps and Add-ons

Proposal to replace source=jnpr-syslog with eventtype=jnpr-syslog in the dashboards

chris_barrett
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This is more of a proposal than a question...

I'm onboarding data for a number of Juniper SRX appliances using a syslog server running rsyslog and a UF. While I could override the source to be "jnpr-syslog" rather than the monitored file's path, I would like to propose that a different "fix" would be to:

1. Create an eventtypes.conf that contained:
    [jnpr-syslog]
    definition = source=jnpr-syslog

2. Replace all instances of 'source="jnpr-syslog"' in the XML files for the views with 'eventtype=jnpr-syslog'.

In this way, the app would behave exactly as it currently does but, importantly, it would also allow for the definition of the jnpr-syslog eventtype to be easily overridden locally if needed.

I'm not sure if the author is still maintaining the app. If not I'll make the changes locally myself.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...