All Apps and Add-ons

Package splunk search head configuration as an app?

knightrider551
Engager

As a newcomer to Splunk, I am currently seeking to gain a deeper understanding of Splunk apps and their associated benefits. While I am familiar with the process of packaging and deploying an app, I remain uncertain regarding one particular aspect: whether it is possible to bundle configuration related to the search head and apply it to the entire search head, as opposed to only a specific app?

My difficulty in understanding the specifics of this process has led me to question whether, upon deploying the packaged configuration, it will indeed only be applied to that specific app and not to the wider Splunk environment.

I would greatly appreciate it if you could point me towards any relevant documents or resources too.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It's possible for configurations in an app to be global in scope.  Changes to limits.conf, for example, apply to the whole instance rather than just an app.  Precedence rules apply so an app cannot override a setting in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local, which limits what an app can do.  See https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/9.0.4/Admin/Wheretofindtheconfigurationfiles for the config file precedence rules.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It's possible for configurations in an app to be global in scope.  Changes to limits.conf, for example, apply to the whole instance rather than just an app.  Precedence rules apply so an app cannot override a setting in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local, which limits what an app can do.  See https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/9.0.4/Admin/Wheretofindtheconfigurationfiles for the config file precedence rules.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

knightrider551
Engager

Thanks, that’s helpful

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...