All Apps and Add-ons

OpenJDK support plans for DB Connect

jlaundry
Explorer

Hello,

With the pending subscription costs for Oracle Java 1.8, we've been reviewing what servers still run Java 8, and developing a transition plan to OpenJDK.

When we try to use OpenJDK, DB Connect outright refuses to start, complaining that it's not the official Oracle Java JRE.

Are there plans to support OpenJDK? Is there any way to force the use of OpenJDK instead, and what functionality is broken by doing so?

1 Solution

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Great news! Version 3.1.4 shows, among other features, Support for OpenJDK 8!

Splunk® DB Connect Release Notes

View solution in original post

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Great news! Version 3.1.4 shows, among other features, Support for OpenJDK 8!

Splunk® DB Connect Release Notes

jenshaizmann
Explorer

I get the following message when trying to run db connect app 3.1.4 with these openJDK versions:

• zulu8.36.0.1-ca-jdk8.0.202-win_x64
  • OpenJDK8U-jdk_x64_windows_hotspot_8u202b08

{'message': 'Unsupported JRE detected', 'jre_need': 'Need Oracle Corporation JRE version 1.8 or OpenSDK 1.8', 'jre_using': 'Using Azul Systems, Inc. JRE version 1.8, OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM'} validate java command: D:\Java\zulu8.36.0.1-ca-jdk8.0.202-win_x64\bin\java.

{'message': 'Unsupported JRE detected', 'jre_need': 'Need Oracle Corporation JRE version 1.8 or OpenSDK 1.8', 'jre_using': 'Using AdoptOpenJdk JRE version 1.8, OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM'} validate java command: D:\Java\OpenJDK8U-jdk_x64_windows_hotspot_8u202b08\jdk8u202-b08\bin\java.

Please help me to find an openJDK8 that works with db connect app 3.1.4 on windows

jenshaizmann
Explorer

I got it working by changing JRE_VENDOR_KEY in splunk_app_db_connect\bin\dbx2\C.py

old: JRE_VENDOR_KEY='java.vendor'
new: JRE_VENDOR_KEY='java.specification.vendor'

Since JRE_WANT_VENDOR is 'Oracle Corporation' and most third party vendors put their own name into 'java.vendor' it makes sense to use 'java.specification.vendor' since this is 'Oracle Corporation' for all supported OpenJDKs (I tested this for Azul and Adopt, therefore I assume this valid for others, too)

How can I contribute that this gets resolved? I cannot file a case

swaro_ck
Path Finder

Same issue here. In case of Suse Enterprise 12, DB connect 3.1.4 and OpenJDK 1.8 you have to use JRE_VENDOR_KEY='java.vm.specification.vendor'.

0 Karma

BenJens
Engager

This fixed my issue too with Azul. Thank you. They have still not updated out to April yet.

0 Karma

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

FYI: I just forwarded this information on to the product manager for the app.

kheo_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

At the time of this writing, mentioned in http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/DBX/3.1.3/DeployDBX/Prerequisites#Java_Runtime_Environment_.28J..., Splunk DB Connect only supports the Oracle JRE.

taskserver may not be invoked with the following similar message.

JRE Status: Unsupported JRE detected 
Using Oracle Corporation JRE version 1.8, OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM 
Need Oracle Corporation JRE version 1.8

But supporting Open JDK is on the way starting from DB Connect 3.1.4 which is the next release. This schedule can change without any notice. If this is not supported even with DB Connect 3.1.4, please submit a Splunk support case and request the progress of DBX-2531.

psammern

Hello Splunkers! When will DB Connect 3.1.4 be released? We are also waiting for Open JDK support.
Thank you!

0 Karma

jlaundry
Explorer

Cool, thanks!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...