All Apps and Add-ons

O365 and Azure AD - estimation of volume of data

jimmoriarty
Path Finder

I've been asked to estimate how much license is needed to ingest Office 365 (and Azure AD) logs.

Not sure what variables are in place - but there are about 1200 users. Does anyone have a ballpark estimate on the size of raw ingestion for that (e,g, 10GB a day)?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

0 Karma

keithevanscdcr
Explorer

Sizing for O365 is typically not a clear cut exercise. There are so many different variables that can affect the volume. A couple of examples:

• O365 Subscription type: E1, E3, A5, .. (Will affect the apps they have and the apps that are logged)
  • OneDrive - If customer is redirecting home drives to OneDrive, this creates audit events for every read/write to home directories
  • Customer size
  • Use cases and inputs they turn on\
  • Customers SSO / federation configuration

My preference is to encourage the customer to turn it on for a few hours/days to get a baseline as the inputs will go back and retrieve 30+ days (depending on size of tenant). This can be done on a dev box etc if customer is worried about prod impact.  I normally scope for 500kb > 1mb per user per day (again depending on their usage). 

In terms of very rough numbers based on a couple of customers:

• 5000 users: 3-4GB per day
  • 20000 users: 9GB per day
  • 500,000 users: 40GB per day

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...