All Apps and Add-ons

No Results Found in Splunk for Unix

scaldwell1

I've just started messing around with Splunk to see if it would be good to use in our environment. I installed the *Nix App on my test machine, which is running Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. After accessing the app I notice that some of the "fields" aren't populating. For example, the CPU Overview has 4 boxes: consumption by command, consumption by user, cpu load by host, 5 most popular executables. The CPU Load By Host box has a graph, so it's getting data. The other 2 show the message: No results found. Inspect ...". I click the Inspect link but I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for. Here's what I see
(bolded text is what is highlighted):

search index="os" sourcetype="ps" host="*" | multikv fields pctCPU, COMMAND | stats sum(pctCPU) as pctCPU by _time,COMMAND | timechart avg(pctCPU) by COMMAND

This search is an instance of the saved search: CPU Usage by Command (UNIX - CPU).

The following messages were returned by the search subsystem:

DEBUG: base lispy: [ AND host::* index::os sourcetype::ps ]
DEBUG: search context: user="admin", app="unix", bs-pathname="/home/myusername/splunk/etc"

I read the contents of http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Admin/Cantfindthedatayourelookingfor and notice it says that the free version doesn't allow you to use "scheduled saved searches or summary indexing". Is that what's happening here?

Edited to add: using Splunk version 4.3 and Splunk for *Nix version 4.5

0 Karma
1 Solution

araitz
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Splunk for Unix and Linux uses scripted inputs to populate its dashboards - in the case above, unix/bin/ps.sh. Thus, if you have not enabled the proper scripted inputs, either in Splunk Mangager of via the app's setup page, the dashboards will not be populated with data.

View solution in original post

DamienLeveque

I have all enabled but I have no data in the different dashboardalt text

Can you help me ?

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@DamienLeveque, you've added on to a thread that is six years old and has an accepted answer. Please post a new question for help with your problem.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

araitz
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Splunk for Unix and Linux uses scripted inputs to populate its dashboards - in the case above, unix/bin/ps.sh. Thus, if you have not enabled the proper scripted inputs, either in Splunk Mangager of via the app's setup page, the dashboards will not be populated with data.

araitz
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

no problem, glad to help!

0 Karma

scaldwell1

Oh, thanks. I didn't get that some of the "scripted Input" options were dependent upon each other. For example, I had enabled cpu.sh but not ps.sh because I didn't think I needed it. I went in and enabled all the scripts to be on the safe side and the various fields/panes are now populated. Thank you for your help.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...