All Apps and Add-ons

Monitoring Glassfish/JVM using "Monitoring of Java Virtual Machines with JMX" - fails to fetch database connection pool sttributes

torustad
Path Finder

Hi all,

I have started to test the "Monitoring of Java Virtual Machines with JMX"-application to monitor a Glassfish-instance.
It seems to work fine; i get data from the java.lang-mbeans, but from the amx-mebean domain for JDBC connection pools I get nothing.

This is perhaps not the correct place to ask this question; but I am only curious as to whether anyone of you has experienced the same?

I am trying to retrieve attributes from this mbean:

MBean Information Item Value
    MBean Name  amx:type=jdbc-connection-pool-app-mon,pp=/mon/server-mon[server],name=resources/JobRepositoryConnectionPool/eAdmin-16.3.0.2
    Properties in creation order    pp=/mon/server-mon[server],type=jdbc-connection-pool-app-mon,name=resources/JobRepositoryConnectionPool/eAdmin-16.3.0.2
       MBean domain amx
       type jdbc-connection-pool-app-mon
       pp   /mon/server-mon[server]
       name resources/JobRepositoryConnectionPool/eAdmin-16.3.0.2
    MBean Java Class    jdbc-connection-pool-app-mon
    MBean Description   JDBC Connection pool Application based Statistics

with this template:

<mbean domain="amx" properties="pp=/mon/server-mon[server],type=jdbc-connection-pool-mon,name=resources/JobRepositoryConnectionPool">
        <attribute name="Name" outputname="navn"/>
        <attribute name="numconncreated" outputname="AntBrukt"/>
    </mbean>

from which I get no events.

From this template, however, I get what I want:

<mbean domain="java.lang" properties="type=Compilation">

<!-- simple attributes -->
    <attribute name="TotalCompilationTime" outputname="TotalCompilationTime"/>

</mbean>

<mbean domain="java.lang" properties="type=ClassLoading">

<!-- simple attributes -->
    <attribute name="TotalLoadedClassCount" outputname="total"/>
    <attribute name="LoadedClassCount" outputname="current"/>
    <attribute name="UnloadedClassCount" outputname="unloaded"/>

</mbean>

Have any of you seen this before?

We are on GlassFish Server Open Source Edition 4.1 (build 13) and
java version "1.8.0_60"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_60-b27)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.60-b23, mixed mode)

Maybe this is the reason: https://java.net/jira/browse/GLASSFISH-21272

And, by theway, I can read connection pool attributes by means of the REST-API.

I am very grateful for any help.

Kind regards,
Bård Tørustad

0 Karma

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

At a quick glance I can see you have not copied the properties correctly into your config file.

From the MBean info:

type=jdbc-connection-pool-app-mon,pp=/mon/server-mon[server],name=resources/JobRepositoryConnectionPool/eAdmin-16.3.0.2

You entered :

type=jdbc-connection-pool-mon,pp=/mon/server-mon[server],name=resources/JobRepositoryConnectionPool
0 Karma

torustad
Path Finder

Hi all,

Thank you for the promtp response Damien.

I have now managed to retrieve some attributes form a connection pool, but when I try to retrieve an attribute tagged with "[N/A]" (not available) in the mbean-browser as described below no events are indexed (ie not found by search).

So the question is whether any of you have experienced anything like that?

The following XML-element yields a result.

<mbean domain="amx" properties="type=jdbc-connection-pool-mon,pp=/mon/server-mon[server],name=resources/JobRepositoryConnectionPool">
    <attribute name="Name" outputname="namn5"/>
    <attribute name="averageconnwaittime" outputname="gjennomsnitt5"/>
    <attribute name="numconnnotsuccessfullymatched" outputname="matchet5"/>
    <attribute name="waitqueuelength" outputname="koelengde5"/>
</mbean>

returns this:

{"namn5":"resources/JobRepositoryConnectionPool","gjennomsnitt5":{"count":68,"description":"Average wait-time-duration per successful connection request","lastSampleTime":1455744439833,"name":"AverageConnWaitTime","startTime":1455729117451,"unit":"millisecond"},"matchet5":{"count":0,"description":"Number of connections rejected during matching","lastSampleTime":-1,"name":"NumConnNotSuccessfullyMatched","startTime":1455729117451,"unit":"count"},"koelengde5":{"count":0,"description":"Number of connection requests in the queue waiting to be serviced.","lastSampleTime":-1,"name":"WaitQueueLength","startTime":1455729117451,"unit":"count"},"jvmDescription":"ATM eAdmin Glassfish","mbean_domain":"amx","mbean_property_name":"resources/JobRepositoryConnectionPool","mbean_property_pp":"/mon/server-mon[server]","mbean_property_type":"jdbc-connection-pool-mon"}

However, if I try with the following element with the additional

<attribute name="numconnacquired" outputname="numconnacquired6"/>

nothing is returned by a search.

<mbean domain="amx" properties="type=jdbc-connection-pool-mon,pp=/mon/server-mon[server],name=resources/JobRepositoryConnectionPool">
    <attribute name="Name" outputname="namn6"/>
    <attribute name="averageconnwaittime" outputname="averageconnwaittime6"/>
    <attribute name="numconnnotsuccessfullymatched" outputname="numconnnotsuccessfullymatched6"/>
    <attribute name="waitqueuelength" outputname="waitqueuelength6"/>
    <attribute name="numconnacquired" outputname="numconnacquired6"/>
</mbean>

When I copy from the mbean-browser i Java Mission Control, the element is tagged with "[N/A]":

Name Value Type Display Name Update Interval Description
numconnacquired [N/A] CompositeData numconnacquired -1 No description available for getNumConnAcquired

I have also tried the following XML to retrieve all data from the "java.lang"-domain:

but only he following is returned:

event1:

{"Valid":true,"Name":"Metaspace Manager","MemoryPoolNames":["Metaspace","Compressed Class Space"],"ObjectName":"java.lang:type=MemoryManager,name=Metaspace Manager","jvmDescription":"ATM eAdmin Glassfish","mbean_domain":"java.lang","mbean_property_name":"Metaspace Manager","mbean_property_type":"MemoryManager"}

event2:

{"CommittedVirtualMemorySize":2661863424,"FreePhysicalMemorySize":4962947072,"FreeSwapSpaceSize":5793099776,"ProcessCpuLoad":0.0,"ProcessCpuTime":917750000000,"SystemCpuLoad":0.015635532699800114,"TotalPhysicalMemorySize":8589463552,"TotalSwapSpaceSize":9931640832,"Name":"Windows Server 2012 R2","Version":"6.3","AvailableProcessors":2,"Arch":"amd64","SystemLoadAverage":-1.0,"ObjectName":"java.lang:type=OperatingSystem","jvmDescription":"ATM eAdmin Glassfish","mbean_domain":"java.lang","mbean_property_type":"OperatingSystem"}

Thanks for any help,
Kind regards
Bård Tørustad

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...