All Apps and Add-ons

Microsoft retiring basic authentication for ExchangeOnline, is there a way app can use other authentication methods?

lac_kango
Engager

Hello,

I found a blog about microsoft retiring basic authentication for Exchange Online on October 13, 2020.

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/office/blogs/end-of-support-for-basic-authentication-access-to...

If this app uses basic authentication, the request will fail after October 13, 2020.

I think this app uses basic authentication. Is there any way this app can use other authentication methods than basic authentication?

splunk version : 7.3.1
app version : 1.1.0

Thanks!

Labels (2)

Andyp55
Observer

Just an FYI for those that haven't seen but the Splunkbase app got updated for Modern Authentication 

0 Karma

rayar
Contributor

Do you know if its planned to use lower permissions  ?

0 Karma

jconger
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The originally required permissions were either Global Administrator or Exchange Administrator.  However, Microsoft has changed that to now allow the Global Reader role.

0 Karma

jconger
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

We are in touch with Microsoft, and we are waiting on an updated API.  According to this document, the Reporting Web Services (the service this add-on uses) will have OAuth support by the end of May 2022.  We will update the add-on to work with Modern authentication when it is implemented in the API.

Raphy
Explorer

Have you received feedbacks from Microsoft on OAuth support
Thank you.

0 Karma

dfranco
Loves-to-Learn Lots

From (Updated) OAuth interface for Office 365 Reporting web service MC318316:

Key points

• Timing: Rollout will begin in early May (previously mid-March) and is expected to be complete by mid-July (previously late May).

We are ending July, did you received any update from Microsoft ?

0 Karma

jconger
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yes, we have draft documentation from Microsoft for programmatic OAuth access to the Reporting Web Services API.  I've tested this in my internal lab and it works!  The add-on coding is happing as I type this message...

0 Karma

jconger
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Version 2.x is out and supports modern authentication (OAuth)!

https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/3720/

mik3y
Path Finder

Thanks @jconger  The update is working well.

My only issue was getting server 500 from reports.office365.com when stipulating a 30 day window to sync.

I was able to get it going by not specifying a start date/time.

0 Karma

dfranco
Loves-to-Learn Lots

Great ! Thank you very much 👏👏👏

0 Karma

rayar
Contributor

Do you mean May 2023 ?

0 Karma

Raphy
Explorer

Hello @jconger ,

According to this blog post from Microsoft Office from june 30th  :
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/exchange-team-blog/announcing-oauth-2-0-client-credentials-fl...

It should be possible from now to retrieve Email data from Exchange Online through Oauth by using an Application permission instead of an user permission.

0 Karma

jconger
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi Raphy,

Thanks for the reference to the Microsoft article.  That article details how to use OAuth with IMAP, POP, and SMTP with Exchange Online.  The API this add-on uses is different - it is called the Reporting Web Service.  But, I do have some good news.  We received draft documentation from Microsoft for OAuth with the Reporting Web Service, and coding is currently underway to get this add-on updated.

siemple99
Observer

Thank you

0 Karma

rayar
Contributor

Hi

How you are going to handle the integration till the new ADD-On  is released  ?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...