All Apps and Add-ons

Manually trigger DB connect input to pull data from SQL server and send to splunk index

aa70627
Communicator

Has anyone been able to get this to work "Use a REST API to manually trigger DB inputs" to ,anually trigger DB Inputs with REST API and be able to track the state of its execution (in-process, completed successfully, failed, etc)? When i followed the instructions, it seem to lead to an output that matches to getting the settings for a specific db input. 

Does anyone know how to run a curl command to remotely trigger or fire a db connect input to run an pull data from sql server to indexer? (this would be the equivalent of modifying the cron job to run 1x through the UI BUT using curl)

Labels (3)
0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
The instructions shows only how to get DBX settings via REST. You must digging what are the correct endpoints to get those things which you are interested of.
You also must ensure that REST is enabled out our HF to use this.
If you have annual input needs, why you don’t use cron format on input polling frequency?
r. Ismo
0 Karma

aa70627
Communicator

whats "r. Ismo"? 
Use a REST API to manually trigger DB inputs >> If this documentation covers just viewing the DBX setting via rest, then what exactly is "manually triggered"? 

There's many scenarios where we simply want to run the DB input 1x after setting it up, examples include: 

1. simply testing out the input to ensure we're getting the data we're expecting to see before finalizing it and setting up an proper cron job to ensure it runs more frequently. 
  2. our ui may be hanging or having other issues which can hamper us from updating the DB connect until issue is resolved. 

My question arise because of the splunk documentation, which sounds like this may be possible? If its not, then i'll just use the REST input to modify the cron job 

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
Those are excellent use cases. I suppose that you should add comment and ask more detailed guidances on docs. This you can do to add this information to current doc pages where they told this example.
Regards Ismo
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...