All Apps and Add-ons

MSExchange Protocol Logs

nick405060
Motivator

Has anyone been able to ingest and parse out protocol logs? I see that there's two perfmon stanzas for them in TA-Exchange-Mailbox but I don't want perfmon, and also nothing is ingested when I enable those.

1 Solution

nick405060
Motivator

I asked this question so that I could answer it and post my solution for the community. Here's what I did:

In TA-Exchange-Mailbox's inputs.conf, I added these two stanzas right after my MessageTracking stanza and pushed out from my DS to the EX servers:

[monitor://E:\Exchange Server\TransportRoles\Logs\FrontEnd\ProtocolLog\SmtpReceive]
whitelist=\.log$|\.LOG$
time_before_close = 0
sourcetype=MSExchange:2013:SmtpReceive
queue=parsingQueue
index=msexchange
disabled=false

[monitor://E:\Exchange Server\TransportRoles\Logs\FrontEnd\ProtocolLog\SmtpSend]
whitelist=\.log$|\.LOG$
time_before_close = 0
sourcetype=MSExchange:2013:SmtpSend
queue=parsingQueue
index=msexchange
disabled=false

and then on my SH props.conf:

[MSExchange:2013:SmtpReceive]
EXTRACT-smtpreceive = (?<date_time>[\s\S]*?),(?<connector_id>[\s\S]*?),(?<session_id>[\s\S]*?),(?<sequence_number>[\s\S]*?),(?<local_endpoint>[\s\S]*?),(?<remote_endpoint>[\s\S]*?),(?<event>[\s\S]*?),(\"(?<data1>[\s\S]*?)\",(?<context1>[\s\S]*)|(?<data2>[\s\S]*?),(?<context2>[\s\S]*))
EVAL-data=if(isnull(data1),data2,data1)
EVAL-context=if(isnull(context1),context2,context1)

[MSExchange:2013:SmtpSend]
EXTRACT-smtpsend = (?<date_time>[\s\S]*?),(?<connector_id>[\s\S]*?),(?<session_id>[\s\S]*?),(?<sequence_number>[\s\S]*?),(?<local_endpoint>[\s\S]*?),(?<remote_endpoint>[\s\S]*?),(?<event>[\s\S]*?),(\"(?<data1>[\s\S]*?)\",(?<context1>[\s\S]*)|(?<data2>[\s\S]*?),(?<context2>[\s\S]*))

You could write the regex better so you don't have to eval, but unfortunately when I tried to use (?J) to extract data and context (conditionally accepting both quotations and no quotations), https://answers.splunk.com/answers/442008/has-anyone-else-come-across-unexpected-behavior-us.html happened.

Cheers,

Nick

View solution in original post

nick405060
Motivator

I asked this question so that I could answer it and post my solution for the community. Here's what I did:

In TA-Exchange-Mailbox's inputs.conf, I added these two stanzas right after my MessageTracking stanza and pushed out from my DS to the EX servers:

[monitor://E:\Exchange Server\TransportRoles\Logs\FrontEnd\ProtocolLog\SmtpReceive]
whitelist=\.log$|\.LOG$
time_before_close = 0
sourcetype=MSExchange:2013:SmtpReceive
queue=parsingQueue
index=msexchange
disabled=false

[monitor://E:\Exchange Server\TransportRoles\Logs\FrontEnd\ProtocolLog\SmtpSend]
whitelist=\.log$|\.LOG$
time_before_close = 0
sourcetype=MSExchange:2013:SmtpSend
queue=parsingQueue
index=msexchange
disabled=false

and then on my SH props.conf:

[MSExchange:2013:SmtpReceive]
EXTRACT-smtpreceive = (?<date_time>[\s\S]*?),(?<connector_id>[\s\S]*?),(?<session_id>[\s\S]*?),(?<sequence_number>[\s\S]*?),(?<local_endpoint>[\s\S]*?),(?<remote_endpoint>[\s\S]*?),(?<event>[\s\S]*?),(\"(?<data1>[\s\S]*?)\",(?<context1>[\s\S]*)|(?<data2>[\s\S]*?),(?<context2>[\s\S]*))

[MSExchange:2013:SmtpSend]
EXTRACT-smtpsend = (?<date_time>[\s\S]*?),(?<connector_id>[\s\S]*?),(?<session_id>[\s\S]*?),(?<sequence_number>[\s\S]*?),(?<local_endpoint>[\s\S]*?),(?<remote_endpoint>[\s\S]*?),(?<event>[\s\S]*?),(\"(?<data1>[\s\S]*?)\",(?<context1>[\s\S]*)|(?<data2>[\s\S]*?),(?<context2>[\s\S]*))

You could write the regex better so you don't have to eval, but unfortunately when I tried to use (?J) to extract data and context (conditionally accepting both quotations and no quotations), https://answers.splunk.com/answers/442008/has-anyone-else-come-across-unexpected-behavior-us.html happened.

Cheers,

Nick

itradeclayton
Path Finder

Am wondering if this would be better placed in TA-Exchange-HubTransport...

0 Karma

nick405060
Motivator

It very well might be, yeah.

0 Karma

itradeclayton
Path Finder

Either way, thanks for this. It came in handy!

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...