All Apps and Add-ons

Lower resolution chart when reproducing grafana/prometheus in Splunk with same data

sadohert

I'm trying to reproduce a collection of Grafana dashboards we have using Splunk. Generally its working okay, but there's this one area I can't get my head around. I seem to get better resolution on the charts with prometheus/Grafana than I see with Splunk.

In Grafana I have a chart that looks like this:
alt text

Where the prometheus query is:
irate(mattermost_http_errors_total{instance=~"$server"}[1m])

In Splunk my chart looks like this:
alt text

And the associated Splunk search is:

| mstats rate(_value) as count prestats=true WHERE metric_name="mattermost_http_errors_total" AND `mattermost_metrics` sourcetype=prometheus:metric AND (host ="617d67c7fe56") span=60s BY host
| timechart rate(_value) as count span=60s BY host
| addtotals

The general structure/trends seem reasonably close, but Grafana seems to have much finer resolution on the data.

• I'm scraping the system-under-test in 15s intervals in both cases.
  • Hovering over the datapoints shows me that Grafana is generating a value on the same period as the scraping interval, but Splunk is only generating data on the span value.

What I suspect: Its as if Grafana is doing a sliding 1 minute window, evaluated at each point in time that it has data. Where Splunk is taking absolute windows/span and generating a single result.

Is there something I'm missing with how to author the mstats searches? Is there some way to achieve a similar result? Am I correct in what I suspect is happening?

Note: My Grafana dashboard also has a series for the "Total" in the same way my Splunk query suggests with addtotals... I just didn't copy that query here

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...