All Apps and Add-ons

Limiting ingested fields in Azure Event Hubs

zippo706
Explorer

I"d like to send audit data through an event hub.   However, i want my heavy fwd'r to not send all fields to splunk as 75% of is will be useless and take up all my ingesting quota. 

Is there an easy way to do this?  The data coming in is Azure SQL where i don't beleive i can change data going into the hub.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you want to discard entire events, see https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.0.5/Forwarding/Routeandfilterdatad#Filter_event_data_...

If you want to discard parts of events, use SEDCMD in props.conf.

[mysourcetype]
SEDCMD-winevent = s/This event is generated.*//
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

zippo706
Explorer

Thanks for the info.   can i discard or manipulate fields in an event.   I'm going to speak logstash here and mutate to delete "reallybigfieldIdon'tcareabout"

Tags (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
Yes, you can do that with SEDCMD. It will be on the raw event, however, since fields haven't been extracted when SEDCMD runs.
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

zippo706
Explorer

Thank you, much appreciated.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...