All Apps and Add-ons

LINE_BREAKER and field extractions problems with SNMP Modular Input

justinlloucks

I'm using the SNMP modular input and having problems getting it to break into multiple events. I can't seem to get line_breaker to work at all.

Here is a sample of the event data:
IF-MIB::ifInOctets."2" = "2303277645" IF-MIB::ifOutOctets."2" = "2190994307" IF-MIB::ifInOctets."3" = "0" IF-MIB::ifOutOctets."3" = "0" IF-MIB::ifInOctets."4" = "0" IF-MIB::ifOutOctets."4" = "0" IF-MIB::ifInOctets."5" = "0" IF-MIB::ifOutOctets."5" = "0" IF-MIB::ifInOctets."6" = "0" IF-MIB::ifOutOctets."6" = "0" IF-MIB::ifInOctets."7" = "0" IF-MIB::ifOutOctets."7" = "0" IF-MIB::ifInOctets."8" = "0" IF-MIB::ifOutOctets."8" = "0" IF-MIB::ifInOctets."9" = "0" IF-MIB::ifOutOctets."9" = "0" IF-MIB::ifInOctets."10" = "0" IF-MIB::ifOutOctets."10" = "0"

This goes on for awhile and is all on a single line.

My props.conf looks like this:

[ciscosnmp]
DATETIME_CONFIG=CURRENT

LINE_BREAKER=(IF-MIB::if)

NO_BINARY_CHECK=1

SEDCMD-first=s/IF-MIB/\nIF-MIB/g

SHOULD_LINEMERGE=false

TRUNCATE=0

Now, the SEDCMD works appropriately and puts each event on it's own line, but the LINE_BREAKER doesn't do anything. Oddly, if I paste the original event data into a text file and build the same configuration for it, it works fine.

Additionally, I can't figure out how to extract the fields. After my SEDCMD, the data looks like this:

IF-MIB::ifInOctets."2" = "3957423569"

IF-MIB::ifOutOctets."2" = "3763306785"

IF-MIB::ifInOctets."3" = "0"

IF-MIB::ifOutOctets."3" = "0"

IF-MIB::ifInOctets."4" = "0"

IF-MIB::ifOutOctets."4" = "0"

IF-MIB::ifInOctets."5" = "0"

IF-MIB::ifOutOctets."5" = "0"

Basically, Direction."(portnumber)"="bytesoftraffic"

I've tinkered with SEDCMD and can get it to look nicer, but after an entire day of messing with the field extractions, transforms, delims, fields etc. I haven't gotten it to break those lines into fields. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Karma

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

The SNMP Mod Input comes with a sourcetype "snmp_ta" defined.

Have a look in snmp_ta/default/props.conf and snmp_ta/default/transforms.conf

0 Karma

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

If I understand correctly you require a very customized output , so you are right, responsehandlers.py exists for this purpose.

If you look at responsehandlers.py , there is an example custom response handler called "JSONFormatterResponseHandler" that converts SNMP attribute output into JSON. So you could go off this as a guideline for your custom response handler. You then declare this custom response handler name in your SNMP stanza setup and it will get applied.

0 Karma

justinlloucks

That helped with the field extractions, but I still can't get line_breaker to work--is this a limitation of how the modular input is implemented?

Is there any way around it? I can use the "split bulk results" option to divide every entry up, but that poses it's own problem.

It seems like the custom response handler may be what I'm looking for, but I can't find much in the way of examples.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...