All Apps and Add-ons

JMX not working in Distributed Enviornment

dilipbailwal
Path Finder

Hi Damien,

Here is my scenario,
After following below URL, i have pushed UF data from deployment server.... which is successfully pushed and installed.
Pushed index files on indexer .. i can see jmx DB on indexers..
Pushed UI bits on Search Head through deployer. i.e.(Its a Search Head Cluster) and can see the app installed on search heads.
ref: https://answers.splunk.com/answers/62185/where-to-install-splunk-for-jmx-app-in-a-distributed-splunk...

Now, first of all my JMX servers are Windows based. Hence converted jmx.py to jmx.exe and kept under BIN. Also splunk UF is configured on JMX server itself, hence config.xml host value is the localhost. and with specific port number too.. which i am able to connect through jconsole.

my inputs.conf files is as follows,

[jmx://JMXLOG]
config_file = config.xml
polling_frequency = 60
sourcetype = jmx
disabled = 0
interval = 30
index = jmx

can you share, where jmx.py is defined so i can replace it with jmx.exe. ? it doesn't exist in inputs.conf
I am not able to see any logs yet. On search head..

0 Karma

dilipbailwal
Path Finder

i found installing python easier than replacing UF with heavy forwarder.. (lengthy process)
Now i have python installed 2.7.11 version.. and still no luck ..
java run time already exist..
Don't see any logs coming in under log folder nor in splunkd too.

the only entry i see in UF splunkd is successful push from deployment server.

0 Karma

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

Install a Heavy Forwarder rather than a Universal Forwarder.

Heavy Forwarders come with their own embedded python interpreter.

0 Karma

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

Hence converted jmx.py to jmx.exe and kept under BIN

Wow , you are very, very confused. Why on earth would you do this ?

SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/SPLUNK4JMX/bin/jmx.py is a python wrapper script that fires the modular input.

So you need to install a python runtime on your server if you are deploying on a Universal Forwarder.
You also need a Java runtime installed.

0 Karma

dilipbailwal
Path Finder

i cannot have python installed on windows box.. thats the limitation .. hence had to take the other route of converting into exe..

java run time - ticked.. i already have that..

Now, what you recommend.?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...