All Apps and Add-ons

JMS Messaging Modular Input: How to configure the app and index messages from my service bus in azure?

shayfa
Path Finder

Hey,
I am trying to use your splunk-app called "JMS Messaging Modular Input"
so till now i only entered the JMS Connection Factory JNDI Name but the data is not being indexed.
the splunk logs shows the following:

01-20-2015 11:57:59.909 -0500 ERROR ExecProcessor - message from "python /opt/splunk/etc/apps/jms_ta/bin/jms.py" Stanza jms://queue/ClientLogs:clientlogs : Error connecting : javax.naming.NoInitialContextException: Cannot instantiate class:  [Root exception is java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: ]

01-20-2015 11:57:59.910 -0500 ERROR ExecProcessor - message from "python /opt/splunk/etc/apps/jms_ta/bin/jms.py"        at javax.naming.spi.NamingManager.getInitialContext(Unknown Source)

01-20-2015 11:57:59.910 -0500 ERROR ExecProcessor - message from "python /opt/splunk/etc/apps/jms_ta/bin/jms.py"        at javax.naming.InitialContext.getDefaultInitCtx(Unknown Source)

01-20-2015 11:57:59.910 -0500 ERROR ExecProcessor - message from "python /opt/splunk/etc/apps/jms_ta/bin/jms.py"        at javax.naming.InitialContext.init(Unknown Source)

01-20-2015 11:57:59.910 -0500 ERROR ExecProcessor - message from "python /opt/splunk/etc/apps/jms_ta/bin/jms.py"        at javax.naming.InitialContext.(Unknown Source)

01-20-2015 11:57:59.910 -0500 ERROR ExecProcessor - message from "python /opt/splunk/etc/apps/jms_ta/bin/jms.py"        at com.splunk.modinput.jms.JMSModularInput$MessageReceiver.connect(Unknown Source)

01-20-2015 11:57:59.910 -0500 ERROR ExecProcessor - message from "python /opt/splunk/etc/apps/jms_ta/bin/jms.py"        at com.splunk.modinput.jms.JMSModularInput$MessageReceiver.run(Unknown Source)

01-20-2015 11:57:59.911 -0500 ERROR ExecProcessor - message from "python /opt/splunk/etc/apps/jms_ta/bin/jms.py" Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:

01-20-2015 11:57:59.911 -0500 ERROR ExecProcessor - message from "python /opt/splunk/etc/apps/jms_ta/bin/jms.py"        at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)

01-20-2015 11:57:59.911 -0500 ERROR ExecProcessor - message from "python /opt/splunk/etc/apps/jms_ta/bin/jms.py"        at java.lang.Class.forName(Unknown Source)

01-20-2015 11:57:59.911 -0500 ERROR ExecProcessor - message from "python /opt/splunk/etc/apps/jms_ta/bin/jms.py"        at com.sun.naming.internal.VersionHelper12.loadClass(Unknown Source)

01-20-2015 11:57:59.911 -0500 ERROR ExecProcessor - message from "python /opt/splunk/etc/apps/jms_ta/bin/jms.py"        ... 6 more

When I read this error, i understand that the "JNDI Initial Context Factory Name" is the missing thing, but i have no idea what I should write there. I searched for explanations through the web, but didn't a successful way to configure it and make it work.

It will be really appreciated if you can assist me somehow.
Thanks !

0 Karma
1 Solution

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

I have not used Azure Service Bus , but I am reasonably adept at following documentation , so lets give this a go.

Based on this : http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/service-bus-java-how-to-use-jms-api-amqp/

Step 1

Obtain these 4 jar files and place them in SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/jms_ta/bin/lib.The Azure doc mentions where to obtain them.

geronimo-jms_1.1_spec-1.0.jar
qpid-amqp-1-0-client-[version].jar
qpid-amqp-1-0-client-jms-[version].jar
qpid-amqp-1-0-common-[version].jar

Step 2

Create a properties file-based JNDI Provider for Azure. Call the file servicebus.properties and save it somewhere on your filesystem.

File contents. Replace the "[your_*]" items as per the Azure documentation

# servicebus.properties - shayfa's JNDI configuration
connectionfactory.MY_SBCF = amqps://[your_username]:[your_urlencoded_password]@[your_namespace].servicebus.windows.net

# Register your queue in JNDI
queue.MY_QUEUE = [your_queue_name]

Step 3

Now you are ready to setup your JMS stanza in Splunk.

The core connection settings might look something like this :

alt text

View solution in original post

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

I have not used Azure Service Bus , but I am reasonably adept at following documentation , so lets give this a go.

Based on this : http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/service-bus-java-how-to-use-jms-api-amqp/

Step 1

Obtain these 4 jar files and place them in SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/jms_ta/bin/lib.The Azure doc mentions where to obtain them.

geronimo-jms_1.1_spec-1.0.jar
qpid-amqp-1-0-client-[version].jar
qpid-amqp-1-0-client-jms-[version].jar
qpid-amqp-1-0-common-[version].jar

Step 2

Create a properties file-based JNDI Provider for Azure. Call the file servicebus.properties and save it somewhere on your filesystem.

File contents. Replace the "[your_*]" items as per the Azure documentation

# servicebus.properties - shayfa's JNDI configuration
connectionfactory.MY_SBCF = amqps://[your_username]:[your_urlencoded_password]@[your_namespace].servicebus.windows.net

# Register your queue in JNDI
queue.MY_QUEUE = [your_queue_name]

Step 3

Now you are ready to setup your JMS stanza in Splunk.

The core connection settings might look something like this :

alt text

shayfa
Path Finder

OK it works !
Thanks you

0 Karma

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

First off all , for folks to help out in the best manner possible , you need to more accurately describe your use case.

What Messaging platform are you trying to connect to ?
What OS , version of Splunk , version of the JMS Mod Input ?
What steps have you performed to setup the JMS Mod Input stanza , copy over any dependent jar files etc.. ?
Have you followed all the steps in the trouble shooting guide in the docs : https://apps.splunk.com/app/1317/#/documentation ?

Also , you are going to struggle if you don't have basic Java skills , familiarity with basic java and JMS concepts.Is there a developer or admin on your team who is familiar with java/jms to help expedite your setup ?

0 Karma

shayfa
Path Finder

Hi ,
The massaging platform is a queue in the service bus in azure cloud platform.
i have a queue which i want to index the data inside it.
the splunk is version 6.1 ans being installed on linux server Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS.
The JMS i'v installed is from the link below: https://apps.splunk.com/app/1317/#/overview
that's 1.3.7.
in order to use the app i used to follow the link below: http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/service-bus-java-how-to-use-jms-api-amqp/ and build just the ConnectionURL
also added the jars described there.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...