All Apps and Add-ons

Is there any reason to use Perfmon over WMI on a universal forwarder when monitoring local data?

philwhite

Is there any reason to use Perfmon over WMI on a Universal Forwarder when monitoring local data? Perfmon gets it's data from WMI anyways, so why add the extra step of using Perfmon when you can just hit up WMI directly? I am considering editing my Windows TA to only use WMI (ie wmi.conf) and turning off perfmon. Does anyone see any issue with this?

0 Karma
1 Solution

dstaulcu
Builder

Hello

The perfmon handler has a few advantages over WMI. For one, it's what's used in splunk_ta_windows (currently) and thus a few applications (windows infrastructure, ITSI, XenDesktop) are expecting inputs in non-compressed perfmon format. If you are more concerned with license utilization and bandwidth utilization than app compatibility, perfmon's multi-kv option allows for compression of multiple counters and sample-interval statistics in a single event/packet.

View solution in original post

dstaulcu
Builder

Hello

The perfmon handler has a few advantages over WMI. For one, it's what's used in splunk_ta_windows (currently) and thus a few applications (windows infrastructure, ITSI, XenDesktop) are expecting inputs in non-compressed perfmon format. If you are more concerned with license utilization and bandwidth utilization than app compatibility, perfmon's multi-kv option allows for compression of multiple counters and sample-interval statistics in a single event/packet.

philwhite

Thank you.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...