All Apps and Add-ons

Is there a possibility to differentiate Forwarder Deployment deb rpm systems?

dsfyxcasdcertzu
Explorer

Hi everyone,

I want to deploy standard inputs for ca. 50 linux UFs via custom apps. Since there is a difference between standard log paths on Debian and RedHat flavored systems I want to know if there is a possibility to differentiate these systems on side of the Forwarder Management e.g:

- Server Class DEB-based -> App A
- Server Class RPM-based -> App B

I'm aware of the fact, that I can tell apart windows and linux machine types, but is it possible to get the latter in more detail?

I wouldn't like to use Ansible to deploy all the Inputs.conf files because I think this will be a mess when updates to the configs are pending.

Thank you

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @dsfyxcasdcertzu,

I always prefer to use Deployment Server instead Ansible to deploy apps.

About serverclasses, there isn't a general rule (e.g. linux 64bit) for operative system, but you can create two serverclasses grouping clients based on os.

You can also use a different solution:

create one app with all the inputs for both the oss and deploy this app to all the linux systems, the only issue you'll have will be some warning that some inputs don't find anything buit it isn't a problem.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @dsfyxcasdcertzu,

I always prefer to use Deployment Server instead Ansible to deploy apps.

About serverclasses, there isn't a general rule (e.g. linux 64bit) for operative system, but you can create two serverclasses grouping clients based on os.

You can also use a different solution:

create one app with all the inputs for both the oss and deploy this app to all the linux systems, the only issue you'll have will be some warning that some inputs don't find anything buit it isn't a problem.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

dsfyxcasdcertzu
Explorer

Hi @gcusello ,

thanks a lot for your quick response!

I'll go with the solution you've proposed - seems like a good idea! 🙂

Cheers

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...