All Apps and Add-ons

Is it possible to create a mobile dashboard?

nick405060
Motivator

Hi,

I have a requirement to implement Splunk Mobile. I opened up a support case because 98% of our dashboards were not working in Splunk Mobile and I was told that most features (JS, post-processing, etc.) were not currently supported. I asked if there was a way to manually (and painstakingly) convert a dashboard to a Splunk Mobile dashboard. That is, to recreate the dashboard with only features allowable in Splunk Mobile. Splunk responded by sending me a woefully inadequate list of supported features (https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Gateway/1.8.0/ReleaseNotes/VizSupport) that doesn't even begin to mention features like JS or post-processing or anything at a remotely granular level.

Does anyone actually know what is and is not supported in Splunk Mobile? How can I go about creating a dashboard that I know will be compatible with Splunk Mobile?

0 Karma

nicolen_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi nick405060,

I'm sorry that you found the documentation not helpful. It's difficult to capture every unsupported configuration in Splunk visualizations, and we are still documenting and working on them as we hear from Splunk users. However, the mobile applications should support post-process searches. I've included in the documentation that custom JS is not supported. Feel free to provide further feedback so we can improve the product and documentation.

Thanks for your input,
Nicole

nick405060
Motivator

Will JS eventually be supported? Because currently Splunk does not offer a working SimpleXML button, or one that isn't junk (submit button currently cannot be moved, inlined, multiplied, and has broken and well-documented searchWhenChanged bugs. these are among other shortcomings.) it is not a lot to ask to be able to put buttons in my SIEM dashboards.

0 Karma

ryanoconnor
Builder

Hi Nick!

Thank you for the feedback here! I wanted to make sure to reply because I think there's some important points to clarify.

1. Splunk Mobile does currently support post process searches.
  2. Currently, custom JS is not supported.
  3. Dashboards that are Splunk Compatible should show up in Mobile. If they do not show up, they are likely not compatible. If they are showing up, but do not work, then likely there is a bug that needs to be addressed and Splunk Support should be able to aid you in filing that bug. https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Alerts/latest/Alerts/TroubleshootMobile#Unable_to_see_a_dashbo...

Thank you for your analysis of the docs here too, our docs writer is on the case and constantly working on improving these things! Any specific feedback/suggestions you have you can post here, or also file in a Support ticket.

Thank you!
Ryan

0 Karma

nick405060
Motivator

Dashboards that are Splunk Compatible
should show up in Mobile. If they do
not show up, they are likely not
compatible. If they are showing up,
but do not work, then likely there is
a bug that needs to be addressed and
Splunk Support should be able to aid
you in filing that bug.

JS dashboards show up, but are not compatible.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...