All Apps and Add-ons

Is it possible to consume WCF services from Splunk?

jitsinha
Path Finder

Would anyone please put some light on whether it’s possible to consume WCF services from Splunk or not. I know its possible to call REST services.
We have already a batch program in place which consumes a WCF service which in turns creates logs. Through Splunk this logs being monitored for analysis.
So I was checking whether it’s possible to consume WCF services similar way we consume REST services so maintaining an external batch can be ignored.

0 Karma

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

The REST API Modular Input doesn't care how the REST API is implemented (be it with WCF or any other langage or REST framework).

The RESTful service that your batch script is currently polling could probably very easily be replaced by using the REST API Modular Input to poll that REST service and index the REST responses in Splunk without having to go through the intermediate step of writing out a log file.

0 Karma

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

SOAP != REST

So you can't use the REST API Modular Input.

0 Karma

jitsinha
Path Finder

Sorry for not being clear earlier. The WCF service that I was refereing earlier is actually a SOAP WCF service.

0 Karma

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

I have no idea about your REST services. Your REST API documentation should tell you the URL to call and the appropriate HTTP method to use (GET or POST).

0 Karma

jitsinha
Path Finder

Damien thanks for the quick reply.
I got a WCF service of 5 opeartions and want to call a specific operation.
Consider this is the endpoint I have ***/2014/06/testIdAdministrationPortType.svc
Whenever I am trying to consume it through rest API modular all I am I getting is the HTML information for this page.

Also the operation need some inputs to kick off. Should I use POST as HTTP method. A little confused over here. 🙂

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...