All Apps and Add-ons

Is anyone using the Splunk ODBC driver with Tableau on Mac OS X?

asealey
Engager

Is anyone using the Splunk ODBC driver with Tableau on Mac OSX (10.10.2, specifically). Tableau fully supports Mac for the desktop client, and it would be nice to not have to run a VM for connectivity to Splunk.

mtevenan_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi there. Thanks for pinging us about this, and apologies for the delay in responding!

The Splunk ODBC Driver is currently only available for Windows, and will not run on any other platform. Of course, you can use the ODBC Driver on your Windows system to connect to a Splunk server running any supported platform, but the driver itself only works with apps running on Windows. This includes both Tableau and Excel; even though they are available for other platforms such as OS X, they can only be used with the ODBC Driver on Windows.

At this time we have no information to share about future non-Windows platform support for the Splunk ODBC Driver.

Thanks again,
Matt Tevenan
Sr. Tech Writer
Splunk Seattle

acharlieh
Influencer

I was talking to reps from Tableau at a conference last week. They seemed to indicate that with their recent partnership with Splunk Inc., that Splunk was a fully supported and selectable data source type in Tableau Desktop now, no ODBC hackery or jiggery-pokery required.

That said I haven't had the chance to download and try it out personally yet, so it could just be a rep telling me what I want to hear 🙂

Edit to add: Found a YouTube Video from Tableau's page showing a direct connection to the Splunk API, admittedly in Windows, but seemingly not with ODBC.

0 Karma

tawollen
Path Finder

I ran into the same problem. The only ODBC driver that Splunk has includes Microsoft binaries. I am just starting to learn Tableau, so not sure if there are other alternatives with OSX.

https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/1606/#

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...