All Apps and Add-ons

Is a way to collapse common node names in dendrogram viz?

ianthomas
Explorer

@chrisyounger 

Wondering if there is a way to collapse common node names in dendrogram viz. I can understand from a URL or directory standpoint why it works the way it does.

I am working with jobs and dependencies and there may be a common child node below some parent which branches out into a tree from there.  Like in the last attachement from ITSI. 

Is there a way to make it behave like ITSI does with a single common dependent node? Is this something straightforward with existing implementation or custom?

With Dendrogram Viz dendrogram.png
In ITSI

itsi.png

In table form... 

table.png

Labels (1)
1 Solution

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I don't believe it's possible to create common nodes across different branches with current version. You would have to use something like the network diagram viz, (https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/4438) which will produce this

bowesmana_0-1664928438020.png

View solution in original post

chrisyounger
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @ianthomas . Thanks for the suggestion, Ill take a look and see if I can make this work.  I am pretty slammed with work at the moment so it might be a little while sorry.

All the best, Chris

ianthomas
Explorer

Hi @chrisyounger that would be fantastic. Love the Dendrogram viz and feature set you have put together. A lot of possibilities to build really cool useful stuff.. 

Do you have a feel for likelihood you are going to implement this given how you have coded so far? 10% 90%?

Feels a little rude to ask, but here goes... Any idea how long a little while might be? 

I can use a Sankey for now.

Thanks again for putting out great stuff. 

Regards

Ian 

0 Karma

chrisyounger
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi Ian, 

I have taken another look at this, and I misunderstood your original request. I thought you were asking if its possible to make the nodes clickable to have them collapse and expand, but you are asking for a non-tree structure.  

Common descendants is not something I can easily add to this sorry, that would be a different structure as Bowsmana said, there are other apps like the excellent Network Diagram Viz that should be able to do this for you.

All the best, Chris

Tags (1)
0 Karma

ianthomas
Explorer

Hi Chris,

Thanks. I played with the network diagram viz. Was unable to get it to be as nice looking so far.

After all that, I actually ended up going with timeline viz for this application.

Thanks

Ian

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I don't believe it's possible to create common nodes across different branches with current version. You would have to use something like the network diagram viz, (https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/4438) which will produce this

bowesmana_0-1664928438020.png

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...