All Apps and Add-ons

Is a way to collapse common node names in dendrogram viz?

ianthomas
Explorer

@chrisyounger 

Wondering if there is a way to collapse common node names in dendrogram viz. I can understand from a URL or directory standpoint why it works the way it does.

I am working with jobs and dependencies and there may be a common child node below some parent which branches out into a tree from there.  Like in the last attachement from ITSI. 

Is there a way to make it behave like ITSI does with a single common dependent node? Is this something straightforward with existing implementation or custom?

With Dendrogram Viz dendrogram.png
In ITSI

itsi.png

In table form... 

table.png

Labels (1)
1 Solution

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I don't believe it's possible to create common nodes across different branches with current version. You would have to use something like the network diagram viz, (https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/4438) which will produce this

bowesmana_0-1664928438020.png

View solution in original post

chrisyounger
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @ianthomas . Thanks for the suggestion, Ill take a look and see if I can make this work.  I am pretty slammed with work at the moment so it might be a little while sorry.

All the best, Chris

ianthomas
Explorer

Hi @chrisyounger that would be fantastic. Love the Dendrogram viz and feature set you have put together. A lot of possibilities to build really cool useful stuff.. 

Do you have a feel for likelihood you are going to implement this given how you have coded so far? 10% 90%?

Feels a little rude to ask, but here goes... Any idea how long a little while might be? 

I can use a Sankey for now.

Thanks again for putting out great stuff. 

Regards

Ian 

0 Karma

chrisyounger
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi Ian, 

I have taken another look at this, and I misunderstood your original request. I thought you were asking if its possible to make the nodes clickable to have them collapse and expand, but you are asking for a non-tree structure.  

Common descendants is not something I can easily add to this sorry, that would be a different structure as Bowsmana said, there are other apps like the excellent Network Diagram Viz that should be able to do this for you.

All the best, Chris

Tags (1)
0 Karma

ianthomas
Explorer

Hi Chris,

Thanks. I played with the network diagram viz. Was unable to get it to be as nice looking so far.

After all that, I actually ended up going with timeline viz for this application.

Thanks

Ian

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I don't believe it's possible to create common nodes across different branches with current version. You would have to use something like the network diagram viz, (https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/4438) which will produce this

bowesmana_0-1664928438020.png

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...