All Apps and Add-ons

Is App for Stream considered a premium app?

mosaixsolutions

I am testing the free version of Splunk and would like to capture wire data. I have spent the last 3 days trying to get it setup with no luck. I have not problem streaming syslog data or loading other logs files. I came across the following post indicating premium apps (created by Splunk) are not supported with the free version. Can someone please confirm or clarify. Thanks!

http://answers.splunk.com/answers/103431/about-premium-apps.html

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ChrisG
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Premium apps are apps that you have to pay for: Enterprise Security, the Exchange App, and the VMware app. Splunk develops and maintains numerous other apps that are available for free.

Stream is a free app. I can't find any information that indicates it wouldn't work with Splunk Free.

I suggest you create a new Answers posting with the specific errors and issues you are encountering. The community can help you troubleshoot your installation. For example (starting with the basics), did you enable the Wire Data input and do you have root privileges? Posting a new question that describes the steps you have taken the results you are getting (or not getting) will be the most useful.

View solution in original post

ChrisG
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Premium apps are apps that you have to pay for: Enterprise Security, the Exchange App, and the VMware app. Splunk develops and maintains numerous other apps that are available for free.

Stream is a free app. I can't find any information that indicates it wouldn't work with Splunk Free.

I suggest you create a new Answers posting with the specific errors and issues you are encountering. The community can help you troubleshoot your installation. For example (starting with the basics), did you enable the Wire Data input and do you have root privileges? Posting a new question that describes the steps you have taken the results you are getting (or not getting) will be the most useful.

mosaixsolutions

According to the free vs. enterprise page premium apps are not available with the free version.

https://www.splunk.com/en_us/products/splunk-enterprise/free-vs-enterprise.html

What's not clear is if App for Stream is considered a premium app. This post indicates premium apps are ones Splunk develops or maintains.

http://answers.splunk.com/answers/103431/about-premium-apps.html

Can anyone confirm for sure? Unfortunately I've spend to many hours troubleshooting App for Stream with the free version and this is the only resolution i've found.

Thanks for the feedback!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...