All Apps and Add-ons

Installation challenge: Unable to initialize modular input "jmx" defined inside the app "SPLUNK4JMX": Introspecting scheme=jmx: script running failed (exited with code 1).

banderson7
Communicator

3 search heads in a search head cluster, 1 deployment server, and 2 indexers. All now running Splunk 6.4.1. I'm attempting to install the SPLUNK4JMX app on the deployment server (it is also used as the DBConnect app server):

splunk@atlitpspdl1:~> echo $SPLUNK_HOME
/opt/splunk
splunk@atlitpspdl1:~> echo $JAVA_HOME
/home/splunkforwarder/jdk1.8.0_65

After I install the SPLUNK4JMX app, I get the message in the title, and after I restart, I still get the same message. I don't have a JMX modular input in Data Inputs.

I tried a suggestion from this thread:

$SPLUNK_HOME/bin/splunk cmd splunkd print-modinput-config jmx | $SPLUNK_HOME/bin/splunk cmd $SPLUNK_HOME/bin/python /opt/splunk/etc/apps/SPLUNK4JMX/bin/jmx.py

and got the following error:

splunk@atlitpspdl1:~> /opt/splunk/bin/splunk cmd splunkd print-modinput-config jmx | $SPLUNK_HOME/bin/splunk cmd $SPLUNK_HOME/bin/python /opt/splunk/etc/apps/SPLUNK4JMX/bin/jmx.py
Introspecting scheme=jmx: script running failed (exited with code 1).
Unable to initialize modular input "jmx"  defined inside the app "SPLUNK4JMX": Introspecting scheme=jmx: script running failed (exited with code 1).
Scheme "jmx" is not initialized.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/SPLUNK4JMX/bin/jmx.py", line 154, in <module>
    do_run()
  File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/SPLUNK4JMX/bin/jmx.py", line 58, in do_run
    run_java()
  File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/SPLUNK4JMX/bin/jmx.py", line 124, in run_java
    process = Popen(java_args)
  File "/opt/splunk/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 710, in __init__
    errread, errwrite)
  File "/opt/splunk/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 1335, in _execute_child
    raise child_exception
OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory

What I want to do is use this app to connect my Splunk search heads w/ my Java servers, starting w/ my Alfresco servers and use the Splunk Alfresco app to import that data for my alfresco devs. Would the Splunk_TA_JMX app be better for this task? Any help here would be useful. Thanks!

robertlynch2020
Motivator

Hi
I have the same issues, did you get this fixed?

Thanks
Robert

0 Karma

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

Looks like a problem running the java executable inside JAVA_HOME/bin/java.

Check your user OS permissions.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...